INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of Artist/Album Artist  (Read 800 times)

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Use of Artist/Album Artist
« on: March 19, 2003, 03:39:47 pm »

Just wondering how people use these...I think I may be using these in the reverse order to everybody else but it seemed logicla to me.  A single artist album has Artist & Album Artist set to the same.  A Multiple Artist album has Artist set to Various artists and Album Artist set to the artist of the track.  This means that my Artist/Album view scheme displays Various Artists/Reloaded or whatever and when I rename files from properties I do not get separate folders for artists who have one track on a compilation.  The reason I set Album Artist for all files was cos I wanted a consistent field to search on so when I am using my PC for discos if somebody says what do you have by Britney (Heaven forbid!!) I could search for Britney and it would show all files regardless ofwhether or not they were on a compilation or a Britney only Album (which luckily I do not possess).
Is this similar to how others use this or am I way off the mark??

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

V-Man

Re: Use of Artist/Album Artist
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 05:31:42 am »

The new handling of Album Artist is much better for me, but MC still misses out something absolutely vital - namely combined functionality with Rename From Properties. The other badly needed feature is the ability to treat the Artist field as a list, in the same way as the Keywords field. If MC had this fixed, it would give me the flexibility I need.

Consider if you will the album Stripped from Christina Aguilera, and in particular the track Dirrty featuring Redman.

I want to set the Artist field to "Christina Aguilera, Redman" and Album Artist field to "Christina Aguilera".

I want to do the first thing so that if I set up a view scheme "Artist/Name" I will see:

Christina Aguilera
...Dirrty
Redman
...Dirrty

I want the filenames based on Album Artist, not Artist, so that all tracks from Stripped end up in the same directory. Fine I can use [ALBUM ARTIST] but then unless I change the rename scheme each time, I will be forced to fill the Album Artist field for every track in every album. But isn't that what Album Artist (auto) is supposed to prevent you having to do?

As far as view schemes go, Album Artist (auto) will use the value of the Artist field for cases where all tracks in the album have the same Artist (ie no collaborative tracks), or the boilerplate "(multiple artists)" where this is not the case and the Album Artist field has been left blank. Why can I not use [ALBUM ARTIST AUTO] in the Rename From Properties schema?
Pages: [1]   Go Up