INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag Layouts  (Read 601 times)

skippysonics

Tag Layouts
« on: May 04, 2022, 04:59:21 pm »

It looks like there was an update to the tagging sidebar. I have a bunch of custom tags and had setup some tag layouts with particular groupings so all of the ones I needed were grouped together. Those all seem to be gone now and it looks like I have to add each tag in one by one with the "also show" drop down. I also don't see a way to reorder and group the tags anymore. Is there a section I'm just not seeing now? I'll dig around some more myself, but if anyone has any idea where all of those options moved to, I'd much appreciate it.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: Tag Layouts
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 06:02:41 pm »

Close the tag window. In the action window at the bottom, shift-click on Tag in the menu. This will re-launch the tag window, but using the "shift" key will toggle it back to the "tag-groups" style you typically see.

You likely had the shift key pressed, inadvertently, the last time you launched the tag window, which toggled the tag window to the alphabetical un-grouped style you see currently. Each subsequent shift-click on Tag in the action window at the bottom of the left panel will toggle between these alternate tag window styles.

skippysonics

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 03:35:51 am »

Thank you!!! I'm sure I just fumbled some keypresses and ended up that way. There are just SOOOO many options and tools in this program that I'm sure I miss a lot, like this tag display one for example. I'm always digging around in the various menus and options, but I don't think I have seen anything about this tag display option. Anyway, thanks again.

Maybe you can help me with one of the big tagging issues I have that I can't figure out. I'm constantly getting lots of new, short video files of band rehearsals, performances, etc. and I like to set custom thumbnails to differentiate them as sometimes I'll have multiple rehearsal videos of the same song or multiple takes of an acting scene. Now I have to watch the video to find the frame I want to use, take the time stamp and convert it into milliseconds I think it is, and then enter that number into the Thumbnail Position tag. Since I'm often doing this to a large number of new files, I've been trying to setup some sort of script that lets me just hit a keystroke while watching the video and have it automatically store the current timestamp to that tag, but I can't seem to find a function or command that returns the current time of the file that is playing. I did find something about current time, but it seemed to be related to a playlist and not just the one file playing. It's late here and I'm rambling on after a few glasses of wine with dinner so I'll stop now and come back later and try to explain this more clearly (and less verbosely).

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 09:44:07 am »

Thank you!!! I'm sure I just fumbled some keypresses and ended up that way. There are just SOOOO many options and tools in this program that I'm sure I miss a lot, like this tag display one for example. I'm always digging around in the various menus and options, but I don't think I have seen anything about this tag display option. Anyway, thanks again.
I'm glad that worked. As you found out, the different tag window styles are not in any menu, or in the options. You just somehow have to magically "know" that this is how you jump from one to the other… Or pose the question in the forum and hope somebody answers ;D

For the heck of it I just did a quick search in J River's wiki, but did not find anything about the two tag window styles there. Granted, I did not put much effort into it, but regardless, it would be nice if one could simply toggle between the styles directly via the tag window header bar menu. In fact, I put in a feature request for exactly that a few months back. Go here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131228.msg910407.html#msg910407 if you want to see the particulars.

That said, as a new user you would benefit from taking a look at the wiki https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started . Here is a link to the wiki index https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions. And finally, in the event you have not discovered it, there is a search box at the bottom of the options window. This can save a lot of time when you are trying to find a particular setting.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 10:09:32 am »

In regards to your follow-up question:
Maybe you can help me with one of the big tagging issues I have that I can't figure out. I'm constantly getting lots of new, short video files of band rehearsals, performances, etc. and I like to set custom thumbnails to differentiate them as sometimes I'll have multiple rehearsal videos of the same song or multiple takes of an acting scene. Now I have to watch the video to find the frame I want to use, take the time stamp and convert it into milliseconds I think it is, and then enter that number into the Thumbnail Position tag. Since I'm often doing this to a large number of new files, I've been trying to setup some sort of script that lets me just hit a keystroke while watching the video and have it automatically store the current timestamp to that tag, but I can't seem to find a function or command that returns the current time of the file that is playing. I did find something about current time, but it seemed to be related to a playlist and not just the one file playing.

There is a built-in option to use a frame grab as the thumbnail.  Go to: Options/Tree and View/Thumbnails/Capture Video Thumbnails at X Seconds, where you can specify the number of seconds. But it sounds like you need/want thumbnails at various points depending on the video, and not the same fixed point for all of them.

If that is the case, I am not the best resource to answer your question, as I use MC overwhelmingly for audio only.  I do have a fair number of movies and lots of images, but  have never really delved into fine-grained functionality of those media types. That said, there are plenty of people on this forum who likely could answer your question, with many who are expert at scripting.

You may want to start a new topic with a more relevant title however, since this has nothing to do with "Tag Layouts" and the users who could best answer may not read this post based on the subject title. On the other hand, your topic will be near the top of the list for at least for little while, and people tend to read the latest posts, so you may get an answer to your follow-up question without starting a new topic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up