INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: backing up mp3??  (Read 1541 times)

hlamar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
backing up mp3??
« on: January 27, 2003, 10:46:26 am »

Just a general question regarding mp3 for all you MC 9 users.  I treasure my large mp3 collection and periodically back it all up as data files on CD-Rs.  However, in the past I have had to always back-up the entire collection each time.  It would be nice to just back-up what I had downloaded since my last backup.  However, with over 2,500 tunes, it is hard to recall what is new and what is old.  Anyone have a good system for this?

A great feature for MC 9 would be to use the "Recently Imported" feature to log a time of import with the file.  If there were a feature in MC 9 to manually "log time of last backup", then perhaps you could just search MC 9 files by time of import and generate a list of files you need to backup.  Any feedback?

Thanks!  Heston

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
Re: backing up mp3??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 11:12:20 am »

I use date modified. sort
select those since the last time
I move them to a new folder on same drive(fast)
then you can do what you want(copy to cdr)
then I move them back using rename files from properties (I keep mine in ARTIST-ALBUM folders)

Listening to: 'Move It On Over' from '40 Greatest Hits' by 'Hank Williams Sr.' on Media Center 9.0
There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

hlamar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 12:03:26 pm »

How do you set up a date modified sort?

What I would like to do is the following.  In "File Info" under "File Properties" is the "Date Imported".  Is there not a way to search this field for all files?  For example, search for all dates greater than 12/31/02.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 02:16:47 pm »

in VIEW.. Media LIbrary (Ctrl+3) go to the column heading that you want.

You can sort the information displayed in the content pane by clicking on the appropriate column heading. Clicking twice will sort in reverse order.
There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

hlamar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 02:09:10 pm »

Sorry for the long delay in reply -- just got a new computer & took a while to move everything over.

Could someone please walk me through what KeystoneCop called a "date modified. sort".  Then, once I get the list of files, how do I move them all as a batch to another folder?  Or is it an individual process?

If anyone else has other ideas for backing up files, this info would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Neanderthaler

• Recent member
  • Music
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 02:19:54 pm »

After downloading an album, I move those files first to the Folder where it should be, for A-M I use disk D, and for N-Z I use disk E
after that I copy the album to the back-up folders on disk C (also A-M or N-Z, and disknumber)
When I have 700MB either in A-M or in N-Z, I create a backupdisk and remove the back-up files from the C.
It sounds like a lot of work, but via MC it takes no more than 10 seconds to perform all the tasks, (except writing of course) and I never forget anything to back-up this way

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 02:53:03 pm »

When you back up an album on cd ,you can put 'burn' in comments.
Like it you have an easy way to know.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 03:18:41 pm »

hlamar,

I always download and rip to a separate temporary folder. This may be the easy way to do it for you.

I copy my backups to a separate hard drive.  I use Second Copy 2000 for backups.  It automatically copies any MP3 that is new or has changed to my backup drive every day in the middle of the night.

Jorge

hlamar

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 03:22:53 pm »

Thanks for the replies -- good ideas!  I also just came up with another method myself.

In the Media Library, select Audio so that all songs in your library display.  Next, horizontal scroll over to the Date Imported column.  Click the header on this column until it is organized from most recently imported to oldest imported.  Now, all you have to do is write down the last time you backed-up all your files.  To update, just left-click the most recently imported file, vertical scroll down to the date in Date Imported column that is just after your last back-up, hold down the Shift key and left-click that file.  Now, all the files you need to back-up are highlighted.  Simply drag & drop those files into the CD burner on the tree.  That is it.  Only downside is that MC 9 does not go back past 80 days for Date Imported, so if you wait more than 80 days, it may generate confusion.  Wish the programmers would fix this problem.

michel

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 03:05:27 am »

Hi hlamar,

Your method has the following inconvenient: it doesn't take in account tag changes you eventually made.

However I have no easy solution since you backup on CD. It would be easier to backup on DD as you can use synchronisation software such as CopyTo (a very good one: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/cool/kish/). But of course it is more expansive...

Update: thinking a little bit more, backup tag changes may be not important since tags are also stored in the DB so you can rewrite on the files later if needed.

nila

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 05:14:09 am »

Easiest way of doing this:

Create a playlist called: Backed up cd's.
Every time you do a backup send everything to this playlist. It'll only add files not already in it.
For your next backup do: -playlist=[backup]
then back all that up, then send it to the playlist.

OR:

Create a Boolean field called: Backed up - just set it each time you backup the files.
Store it in the files so you can tell if they've been backed up no matter what happens to your library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up