INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 11: can't play WASAPI 192 kHz 6ch anymore - just 192 kHz 2ch  (Read 799 times)

greg staten

Don't think this is MC 29-specific, but it has certainly made the music playback experience less awesome. My music player (Windows, now 11) received a new Win 11 OS update and now JRiver Media Center cannot play back multichannel audio (all FLAC 24-bit of various sampling frequency, depending on where I bought it).

If I open the Win11 Sound options, 24/192 audio can be selected and "tests" successfully, but even though 5.1 and 7.1 are listed in the UI no matter what you select it, the result is Stereo.

I opened the legacy sound settings (mmsys.cpl) and from there I was able to select 5.1 Surround and the speaker test does play through every speaker as it should. And i can use VLC to play one of the 5.1 tracks and it plays correctly across all speakers.

But... when I try to do this via JR Media Center 29.0.19 (64-bit) I receive a playback error: Playback could not be started on the output 'WASAPI' using the format '192 kHz 6ch'. I am able to use DirectSound and get 5.1 output to my speakers (24/192 per my processor's OSD), but the wiki here and multiple message threads encourage driving audio via WASAPI.

is this a known issue? Anyone get WASAPI multichannel working on Windows 11?

Thanks!

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Windows 11: can't play WASAPI 192 kHz 6ch anymore - just 192 kHz 2ch
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 05:22:36 pm »

What audio device are you using? The fact the problem occurred after a Windows update suggests that a driver may have been updated.
Another forum member is reporting an issue on Windows 10/MC28 with WASAPI playback on a NUC7 here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132023.0.htm
Like your issue, playback works using Directshow but fails with WASAPI.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

greg staten

Re: Windows 11: can't play WASAPI 192 kHz 6ch anymore - just 192 kHz 2ch
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 09:43:11 am »

I'm using a Radeon RX550 (driver 21.30.23.04-211216a-376209C)), connecting via HDMI 2.0 to an Onkyo receiver.

As part of my troubleshooting, I brought up another computer system to test. This system, also running Windows 11. I tested using both the Intel iGPU (Intel UHD Graphics P630 Coffee Lake) and AMD dGPU (Radeon Pro WX 3200). It had the exact same issue: WASAPI 2ch works, WASAPI 5ch doesn't, but DirectSound works fine.

I'm thinking this is something Microsoft may have broken in Win11. (Lord knows they broke a bunch of other stuff - the File Explorer was laggy and crashed several times a day until an update pushed out last month.)

In the meantime, I seem to be cranking away with DirectSound so this will have to remain a mystery for now. I'll retest when Windows pushes updates to see if this gets addressed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up