INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie ripping problems  (Read 468 times)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Movie ripping problems
« on: March 16, 2022, 07:45:35 pm »

At my location there are three very different computers and two types or optical drives and all have the same problem. This applies mainly to movies, music appears to work most of the time.

When the first disc is completed, almost 100% of the time when the second disc is inserted it will not automatically be read. The only way to continue is power down the drive, disconnect and reconnect or do a cold boot. This condition makes the experience of ripping multiple discs a very frustrating experience.

Have been working with bout 2500 titles and the more than a couple of ripping incidents ongoing, the program becomes very unstable and prone to crash which requires restarting the processes of all active operations. With 4K discs this is time consuming.

From my experiences with your program which started with version 20 and ripping 8500 music CD's and 2500 movies my gut feeling if you make the ripping program a stand alone unit as you have done with other items (labeler and media editor) and each incident independent of other operations. So when crashes occurs only that operation goes down. This will be a huge improvement.

Harroun

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movie ripping problems
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 09:04:30 pm »

Maybe not useful, but I'll mention it case it is. Regular bluray drives that are 4k capable have issues when ripping finishes, they do not load the next disc properly. I think it is a hardware/firmware problem not a software problem. It may not happen if you switch discs quickly after finishing. Official 4k drives do not suffer from this. It may be worth checking if your drives are 4k or 4k capable. There is lots of info on MakeMKV forum about this.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Re: Movie ripping problems
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 09:25:46 pm »

Thank you kindly for the reply. Have visited MKV many times and learned much. I do understand what you say about 4K.

However, ever since I started ripping normal blue ray this problem has been around. In frustration I got in the habit of power off and on again to get reliable operation. Altogether there are 11 optical drives here. Four of them are the small self powered over USB and the only choice is unplug the drive and plug again. When that is complete the program starts working again, as if magic.

One of my desk top type drives was supplied as 4K UHD type HT-DL-St-BD-RE WH16NS60 from LG). It would not work at all. Fromm the MKV site I got there firmware file and installed. Now the drive does work. So at least I have a working drive

To be honest, if I was only doing a few disc's this not much problem. 2500 different story.

One other question maybe you could answer for me. I tried to search and got no results. What is the purpose of JRSidecar?? Is it information only or some operational purpose. Right now it appears it makes no difference if it is there or not.

It does supply one useful thing for me. After ripping a movie, any ripped file that does not have the JRSidecar, this tends to indicate the ripping failed.

Harroun
Pages: [1]   Go Up