INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Update options for calculated fields  (Read 414 times)

DangerJP

• World Citizen
Feature request: Update options for calculated fields
« on: March 23, 2022, 08:57:53 am »

Hi,

I use a lot of custom fields in MC and some of them are calculated using very long expressions.

For these fields, I prefer them to be "user-defined" and copy/paste my expressions in the tag editor to avoid long delay in views.

To simplify this, a new option for calculated fields could be useful. The user could specify the update method (for example: "Update when displayed" VS "Update on demand").

For calculted fields with "Update on demand" enabled, an update button could be added in the tag editor.
See my attached image for an example: I use the custom field [Album DR] to calculate the DR of an album, based on an expression which I prefer to copy/paste to avoid slowing down views. It would be nice to define this field as calculated and use a little refresh button to update it on demand. And please don't judge me for having too much ABBA in my library :)

I don't know if it is feasible or not, but I think it would give a lot more flexibility for custom fields :)

Best regards,

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature request: Update options for calculated fields
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 03:34:36 pm »

As a workaround, you can use ZStats with RunExpressions=1 to update a static field with the result of your Expression. This would have the same effect as the "update" button you propose, and you can even schedule it to update your fields daily/weekly/whateverly:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131845.0.html

The Statistics part of the tool can be disabled with UpdateStats=0 and UpdatePlaylists=0

And please don't judge me for having too much ABBA in my library
You don't have enough ABBA in your library  ;D

DangerJP

• World Citizen
Re: Feature request: Update options for calculated fields
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 04:35:01 pm »

Hi zybex,

I will certainly look into that. Thanks a lot for sharing your work!

As for ABBA, I have soooo much stuff. But it's only for my girlfriend, obvsiouly I only listen to atmospheric black metal  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up