INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Atmos : Frame Drops / Repeats when Bitstreaming [MC28]  (Read 6514 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Atmos : Frame Drops / Repeats when Bitstreaming [MC28]
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2022, 12:52:14 am »

Couple of hints when having both MC28 and MC29 on installed at the same time:
- Tools--> Options--> Startup--> Windows Startup--> Run on Windows Startup--> At least one should be "Nothing"
- Any changes you make to settings or importing media will only impact that instance of MC, so keep a track of which one you are playing with.

Once you are OK with MC29, I'd uninstall MC28 but check the option to leave the library behind so you have a copy of the old MC28 data just in case.
I had to get my IT guy involved in the end as the whole story with my unconventional setup became just too much. We arent even touching 28 anymore, everything has been setup now for just 29.

All seems to have been resolved but Im still having problems playing a PCM file in a playlist, it jumps and stutters all over the place, they always used to work using JR without bitstreaming. Something isnt right, this also was happening on 28 yesterday. What might be wrong here. I have video clock turned off but Ill turn it back on and try again. :(

murray

« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2022, 01:20:08 am »

Ok I seem to have resolved the stuttering on the PCM files when bitstreaming :)
I think everything is fine now, fingers crossed ;)
Can you tell me if anything needs to be ticked on this page please for madvr and bitstreaming, I cant remember what this page used to be like?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2022, 02:02:06 am »

- Turn on "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" (so it uses the 1080ti not the CPU.... else you will get massive frame drops on some content)
- Config up madVR to what you had
- If you have BD Folder Rips (or play BD) and what the option of using the BD Menus, then change "Play Blu-ray discs using Menus" to either ON or Ask (I use ask)
- Change Blu-ray region to: Region B
- Change "Default Subtitle Language" and "Default Audio Language" to English
- Turn Display Settings automatic change mode: On
- Wait after change (use if display changes slowly): 3 Sec (play with what works, it is to prevent MC Complaining that it can't start the audio connection as it is dropped by the JVC/AVR when the frame rate change is starting).
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2022, 02:22:24 am »

Ok I will sort that page and tidy it up. Im just running a film at the moment to check the drops so I need to wait at least another hour before I make the changes.
I dont use any BDs only ripped mkvs and I use Tiny Media Manager then JR loads the rips and folders made in Tiny when it starts up.
I dont use any menus, just the feature in the folder, so I probably should keep this on OFF, correct? I will change region to B for us but that probably doesnt matter either for me.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2022, 02:44:18 am »

Yup - no need for half the settings as you don't play Blu-rays.

The key one is turning on HW Acceleration.   
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2022, 03:08:53 am »

Yup - no need for half the settings is you don't play Blu-rays.

The key one is turning on HW Acceleration.
Ok looks like things are going pretty good even though I dont have hardware acceleration turned on just yet, when i do it might even be better.
Done 1hr 40min so far on this film and still only had 2 frames drop, the results look good!
I will setup HW acceleration when the film finishes then run again and see if it remains the same or is better.
I dont want to move off madvr just yet..... ;)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2022, 03:32:14 am »

Traitor!   ;D

I don't expect turning on HW Accel will make any difference to the 2 frame drops.... it moves the Video Decoding from the CPU to the GPU (and depending on what CPU you have you now may be able to play a wider range of media without those massive frame drops).
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2022, 03:37:16 am »

Traitor!   ;D

I don't expect turning on HW Accel will make any difference to the 2 frame drops.... it moves the Video Decoding from the CPU to the GPU (and depending on what CPU you have you now may be able to play a wider range of media without those massive frame drops).
Ok that 2hr 7min film went through perfect, just 2 frame drops only.
Just turned HW on and subtitles fixed going to do another run through now but will probably fall asleep.

looking forward to JRVR testing maybe tomorrow :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2022, 04:01:31 am »

Sounds good!
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2022, 11:02:47 pm »

When you are bitstreaming does it turn off JR DSP?
Some of my mkv files have wav audio, when they come up are they playing through bitstream or does JR then jump back to LPCM?
How can we visually see if JR is bitstreaming or jumping back to LPCM for certain files, I cant tell on my McIntosh MX160?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2022, 06:34:06 am »

When Bitstreaming, the audio is sent directly out.... so no DSP.  Keep in mind that only some formats are bitstreamable (see the list in Tools --> Options --> Audio  --> Settings --> Bistreaming --> Custom).  The others (like PCM) will still be decoded and use any DSP settings that you have.

The easiest way to "see" if you are bitstreaming or not when media is playing (and without interuption) is use the Up / Down Arrow keys to scroll through the OSD and when you are on Audio it will either say Bitstreaming or show what the Vol level is set at.
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2022, 09:32:47 pm »

Thank you for that, I seem to have everything working nicely on the new setup MC29 now. Dropped frames are a none issue now on 23.97 mkvs, however I havent tested 24fps material or DVDs etc etc...

Pretty soon Im ready to start on JRVR testing but havent even opened it in JR to take a look. Is there a tutorial for using the very highest settings in JRVR, I want to use the best as my madvr is handling NGU highest settings with ease....

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2022, 09:56:52 pm »

Sounds good!

On JRVR Settings: There are 2 parts to think about in your setup

Performance Setting are under the "Scaling" and "Advanced Tabs" to which I've attached a screen shot of the "Highest".  The key on here is the Scaling.  You get Sigmodial Light, SuperRes, and and for advanced scaling FSRCNNX in both 8 and 16 options.  I can run FSRCNNX16 on all but high frame rate stuff like BillyLynn on my 1660Ti and no issues at all on the 3090.  You may need to see how you go on the 1080Ti.

Output contains all the config items related to HDR Passthrough or Tonemapping (and if tonemapping what curves to use, brightness, etc etc) and you will need to set this to suit your HW.  The only feature in here I make sure is Unchecked is "Dynamic Peak Detection" as per the note it "can result in shifting brightness").

JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2022, 10:01:24 pm »

ok thanks for that I might give it a go tomorrow. And how do you bring up the stats for dropped frames etc etc on the screen?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2022, 10:18:15 pm »

Same as madVR,

Ctrl+J to turn on/off
Ctrl+R to reset
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2022, 10:21:04 pm »

Same as madVR,

Ctrl+J to turn on/off
Ctrl+R to reset
Gee it all sounds real easy after madvr :)
I hope it plays everything nicely and the qaulity is there on our large 145" screen.
Is it the same HDR to SDR tonemapping that madvr uses?

The other thing I need to know, will the subtitles work the same as in madvr, I can resizes them and raise and lower them if need be? I play alot of foreign films and the subs work great on madvr.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2022, 10:41:33 pm »

Subtitling is handled by MC so I presume it will be the same regardless of what renderer is used (but I did see that Hendrik made some improvments to Subtitle Handling as part of the JRVR development recently in both quality and positional flexibility).  The rest you are going to have to have a look at!  Have fun :)
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up