INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ot- pop-up  ads killer ,any tips?  (Read 4305 times)

zevele10

Ot- pop-up  ads killer ,any tips?
« on: March 14, 2003, 01:41:27 pm »

Looking for one who kill this VERY F.. Macromedia flashplayer ones.

Free welcome ,not expensive as well.

Or any tips how NOT to get this F macromedia flashplayer , or get rid of

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ot- pop-up  ads killer ,any tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2003, 01:55:12 pm »

AdsGone

this is the best one i have found

it has a 20-30 day demo

I tryed about 15 others, most of them would allow a popup to show this one normaly will get them before they show on the screen.

not sure about Macromedia

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

TURBO

• World Citizen
  • MCSE
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 02:07:59 pm »

Just install this litle browser. It comes with the best pop up killer. Oh by the way is FREE.  Enjoy.  ;D
http://www.crazybrowser.com/

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: Ot- pop-up  ads killer ,any t
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 02:23:07 pm »

Hi Zevele;

I've used a lot of them in the past.  Seems like all the freebies have some common faults, that is they usually stop ALL pop-ups which can be a real problem on some sites that use pop-ups for you to enter data & send help request.

I've had a lot of problems with some very reliable sites such as the APC UPS site.  I could not get to the order entry screen to order a replacement battery for my UPS.  After a lot of trail & error I discovered that they use a pop-up for the order form which was being blocked by the pop-up stopper.  After disabling the pop-up stopper all was good again.  This has happened to me on several occasions since then on other well run sites.

I finally turned the pop-up stopper off as it was causing more problems then it was worth.

I've noted that most of the freebies also have a premium stopper (for money) that is supposed to give you more control over what is blocked & what is not.  You may have to spend some money to get what you are looking for.

Also note that every time a good pop-up stopper is released, the ad industry comes out with a work-around to make it obsolete.  I finally got so tired of this crap that it has become obvious to me that pop-up stoppers are of little real use.

The best thing is to avoid sites that are a real pain-in-the-you-know-what with pop-ups.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2003, 03:11:41 pm »

I tested out a bunch and settled on PopUpCop (popupcop.com).  Certainly seemed to be the most sophisticated with the most controls and options.

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 03:12:54 pm »

The best popup blocker I've used is PopUp Cop. It does a pretty good job of not blocking useful popup windows, although not too good blocking flash, and mostly doesn't require a lot of training like some popup blocking software.

http://www.popupcop.com/

...any tips how NOT to get this F macromedia flashplayer, or get rid of

I don't know how easy it is to uninstall flash if you're using IE. Unfortunately, uninstalling flash will make some websites hard to navigate or unusable if they are using it for their navigation menu. In fact, this website uses flash for the menu at the top of the page (Home Jukebox Accessories etc). That wouldn't be a problem if there were also text links to the various pages within the site, in addition the flash menu, but there don't seem to be.

Anyway, here's one that says it will block flash, though it doesn't say if it blocks all flash or just flash popups.

http://www.dummysoftware.com/popupdummy.html

Another option is to use a browser like Netscape or Mozilla. It's very easy to not install or uninstall flash in these browsers. You could use a flash-free browser for everyday surfing and IE with flash for the few sites that you go to that need it.

Rob

edit:

2 votes for PopUp Cop  :)

Swordsman

• Recent member
  • There can be only one...
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 06:32:10 pm »

OPERA!
OPERA!
OPERA!
OPERA!
OPERA!

I can't stop telling my friends about this awesome browser - if this was free, no one would ever download Netscape or IE again - except to laugh...

It has a smart-popup stopper that will allow a pop-up window only if you request it (by clicking a link).  I've been using it for months now and have almost forgotten what it was like to keep closing X10 ads all the time....

Opera has other great features as well...  tabbed windows, skinnable interface with lots of toolbar and search customization options, email/news built-in, a quick-download option (no need for save-as), can restart a download, has mouse gestures for most common functions (forward, back, close, etc)...and these are just the ones I use the most....
If only it were free..... :'(

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2003, 07:36:55 pm »

I personally use AdShield.

http://www.adshield.org

Tried almost all the others, but settled on this one since it does almost everything perfectly and is customizable.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

phatrabt

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2003, 01:58:39 am »

Yeh...

Opera 7 is truly great!  IE6 takes forever to load a web page.   In comparision I can load the same pages in both browsers & opera will often load 2 - 3 pages in the same time it takes IE6 to load one (or did I say Microsoft bloatware sluggish).

Everything seems to be much faster on Opera.  I got so tired of IE6 problems I tried Opera 7, liked it so much I shelled out the $39 USD to buy it.  Money well spent!
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 02:12:12 am »

you could try http://www.proxomitron.org/index2.html
it's free and you can create your own filterscripts. but there are loads of different scripts supplied with it.

Ingo

rocketsauce

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2003, 03:13:14 am »

It has a smart-popup stopper that will allow a pop-up window only if you request it (by clicking a link).  I've been using it for months now and have almost forgotten what it was like to keep closing X10 ads all the time....

Opera has other great features as well...  tabbed windows, skinnable interface with lots of toolbar and search customization options, email/news built-in, a quick-download option (no need for save-as), can restart a download, has mouse gestures for most common functions (forward, back, close, etc)...and these are just the ones I use the most....
If only it were free.....

All of these features are included in the most recent versions of Netscape and Mozilla or can be added via a quick download.

Personally, I really didn't care for the Opera interface. Also, I couldn't find an option to not install the mail client, which I can do with Netscape/Mozilla.

Oh, and they don't cost $39.00, they're free!

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 03:56:07 am »

Opera is just GREAT ,yes you are right.
Now ,tell me about a download manager working with it?
on just left mousse click ,not alt+shift or ctrl+shift, not with right click 'save too' and NOT with a new page from the download manager telling the link was grabbed and click back to go back to the internet page you where.

I do not mind to buy it if you tell me about one

DocLotus

Re: Ot- pop-up &am
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2003, 05:22:42 am »

Best downloader by far (and I've tried them all) is...

Are you ready for this?

Star DownLoader... www.stardownloader.com

I sometimes try other latest & greatest downloader's since sliced bread (according to the hype) but always find them ALL lacking in one way or another.

I ALWAYS keep coming back to Star DownLoader as it simply does it all for me.

It is the Media Center of DownLoaders!

Oh... did I mention that it is optimized for IE, NetScape & Opera?

Oh... did I also mention that it is totally FREE?

Opera has a plug-in folder that accepts a lot of things that people who just give Opera one quick glance usually miss out on.

For example I had already installed both Star DownLoader & Adobe Reader under IE6.  At first Opera would not see either of them.  After going to the Opera help site (very good help with a large user group somewhat like JRiver' Interact) I quickly discovered how to use plug-ins under Opera.  They listed the Adobe .DLL file I needed (and where to find it) to copy into the plug-in folder.  Presto, I had Adobe Reader working like a charm.

I then went to Star DownLoaders Options & told it to Integrate with Opera as well as IE.  Presto, all was well in downloader land.

Just try to get results that painless & quickly with IE!

zevele10

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2003, 06:24:46 am »

this is my downloadmaager.
But i just gave a fast try to it with Opera and had the problems i said.
Sure i will try to find out

Thank you Doctor Lotus !!

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2003, 03:08:42 am »

I also use PopUpCop and I find it very effective.

nila

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2003, 05:46:58 pm »

adsgone has their own test site to show how effective the software is.
I've tried the demo of adsgone and also of popupcop and to be honest popupcop seems far better.

adsgone failed on it's own popup test site a few times and some popups got through. With popupcop no ads are getting through at all. :)

Swordsman

• Recent member
  • There can be only one...
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2003, 07:49:30 pm »

I went to that test page with Opera, and the only one that it allowed was the mouseover.  That makes me happy that my browser is just as effective as most separate pop-up stoppers...

As to RocketSauce that NS/Mozilla can do the same things - I confess it has been some months since I tried either of them.  It was their inflexible toolbars that I mostly disliked.  You can't move them around much or combine them like in Opera.  Also, they didn't have either the mouse gestures or the customizable searches (available through drop-down list or just right-clicking on a word).  As for being "non-free", I can honestly say it has improved my browsing experience to sufficiently warrant the price.  I can say this given the amount of time I spend in this application, compared to games or other programs of similar price...

I'm curious why some of you want to add a download manager to Opera.  What features does it not provide in the built-in manager?  It keeps a history (basic function), can resume or retransfer, has two types of quick-download (type in a url and it will download that file, or right-click a URL and it will download to default directory without going through 'save-as'), when you right-click a file in the download list, you get the Windows Explorer list of options (open with, send-to, properties, etc).  What else are people needing to do that requires using a separate downloader?

rocketsauce

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2003, 10:55:47 pm »

It was their inflexible toolbars that I mostly disliked.

Actually, this always was one of my biggest complaints about NS/Mozilla too, and was one of the major factors that had kept me from switching from IE in the past. This certainly hasn't changed much in recent versions, but I have come to like some of the other features so much that when I recently went back to IE I found it lacking. Customizable toolbars have dropped way down on my list of important browser features. Also, having used Mozilla as my main browser for about 3 months now, I've been surprised to learn that there are a  considerable amount of "hidden" tweaks that can be done, and being an inveterate  tweaker, I find that aspect of it quite enjoyable. :)

Also, just FYI, mouse gestures can be added via a downloadable extension. I really like the fact that a lot of advanced features aren't included in the browser, but are available via extensions. That way I'm not stuck with a lot features that I'll probably never use just because they get installed by default.

Rob

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2003, 01:09:10 am »

Installed Adshield. Seems to be working just fine. Much better than PpUpStopper, which I used before

Only had 2 problems - one Popunder slid through somehow, and it is suppressing USA Today Sports Weekly for a reason I haven't been able to figure out yet. (I can work around it by hitting page down, which restores the script.).

HTH

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2003, 02:14:48 pm »

I am very happy with
www.endpopups.com

It is free

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2003, 04:47:25 pm »

I like Popup Zero Pro.  It's easy to turn the popups on and off -- because sometimes you need to allow those windows!  You just click on the icon in the tray and now they are allowed.  Click again when you're done and they're blocked.  http://www.pcssafe.com/

Chili-Jam

• World Citizen
  • same same ... but different
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2003, 12:04:46 am »

I'm using webwasher since several years:

http://www.webwasher.com/client/Features/

It's free and available for Windows,Mac and Linux.
A lot of things can be customized.
But it doesn't stop Macromedia flash (maybe you can configure that i haven't tried).

zevele10

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2003, 03:43:55 am »

Thank you for your answers.
I will give a ty to all of it
Pages: [1]   Go Up