INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume slider in app resets to zero  (Read 797 times)

celt16

• Recent member
Volume slider in app resets to zero
« on: March 17, 2022, 03:25:18 pm »

When I play a song from my iPhone JRiver app, I'm not getting any volume. When I look at the song playing, the volume slider is at zero. When I attempt to increase it on the phone, it resets itself to zero. Any thoughts on the cause, besides the loose connection between my chair and the app? My Mac mini server is running High Sierra 10.13.6, iPhone 11X. MC Server 29, though I can't be sure it didn't occur in 28.

Newbie to the forum, and yes I searched for answers first. 

P. S. I just noticed JRiver Phone App displays AUDIOTEST in lower right corner

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume slider in app resets to zero
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 03:34:20 pm »

What is the phone app you are using? JRemote or something else?

This could depend on your playback device as well.
The volume control (in MC the little speaker icon to the left of the volume level) has many options like internal, system or disabled. You may need internal if your device doesn't have a system volume control.

celt16

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 02:43:12 pm »

Problem partially solved ... a Mac OS upgrade reset the audio output from HDMI to Internal Speakers.

However, the JRiver app on my iPhone displays zero volume, and when I move volume slider to the right, it snaps back to left-most position. I clicked on the button above the speaker icon, which displays current zone options:
This Device
Player
Sigma SSP etc
but none of them have any effect on volume. If I select anything other than Player, the song disappears from JRiver phone app and it says nothing is playing, even though the song is still playing.

I suspect there's an audio or zone setting improperly set on the JRiver server somewhere, but damned if I could find which one. Appreciate any help.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 03:38:26 pm »

Problem partially solved ... a Mac OS upgrade reset the audio output from HDMI to Internal Speakers.

However, the JRiver app on my iPhone displays zero volume, and when I move volume slider to the right, it snaps back to left-most position. I clicked on the button above the speaker icon, which displays current zone options:
This Device
Player
Sigma SSP etc
but none of them have any effect on volume. If I select anything other than Player, the song disappears from JRiver phone app and it says nothing is playing, even though the song is still playing.
Each of the zones has it's own playback queue. You can start playback on them independently and at the same time.
I suspect there's an audio or zone setting improperly set on the JRiver server somewhere, but damned if I could find which one. Appreciate any help.
What is your actual playback device when the volume can't be controlled?
Even when the volume can't be controlled by system volume, you can switch the volume control to Internal Volume in MC. It's the little speaker icon to the left of the volume slider in MC.
Just click on it.

celt16

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 10:28:58 am »

>>What is your actual playback device when the volume can't be controlled?<<

Static setup - JRiver and music stored on a Mac Mini (headless) sends music to my Classe Sigma SSP via network cable, and the iPhone JRiver app on my iPhone 11 controls what I play and (should be) volume.

When needed, I can see what's going on in the (headless) Mac Mini using my MacBook Pro to SHARE SCREEN - so the MacBook becomes the monitor for the Mac Mini.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 11:08:09 am »

>>What is your actual playback device when the volume can't be controlled?<<

Static setup - JRiver and music stored on a Mac Mini (headless) sends music to my Classe Sigma SSP via network cable, and the iPhone JRiver app on my iPhone 11 controls what I play and (should be) volume.

When needed, I can see what's going on in the (headless) Mac Mini using my MacBook Pro to SHARE SCREEN - so the MacBook becomes the monitor for the Mac Mini.
So since you are playing over the network, you are playing to the output device via DLNA.
In this case it's the device that presents the option of Volume control to MC.
There aren't many options here. Either it works or not. The Mute is really the only control other than volume you have (see attachment)

If it's not muted and you provide a log of trying to change the volume we could look at it but note that there are some devices which simply won't give you a software volume control.

Also, if you are playing DSD you are even less likely to get a volume control.

celt16

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 12:52:30 pm »

Spending time diagnosing issue - looked at SOUND / OUTPUT settings on Mac mini - it lists

Name.                               Type
Internal Speakers.              Built-in
Sigma SSP                         HDMI
Sigma SSP                         USB
Sigma SSP.                        Airplay

USB is highlighted as default, when I press PLAY of any song on JRiver iPhone app, is switches to the previous choice (HDMI) If I remove the USB cable, it disappears as a choice (dynamic list) so HDMI becomes default highlight. When I press play on iPhone now, it switches from HDMI to Internal Speakers.

Any thoughts on how / why JRiver is doing that / how to stop it from happening? I can't be sure its the cause of inconsistent results, but it surely is suspect.         

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 12:56:31 pm »

Spending time diagnosing issue - looked at SOUND / OUTPUT settings on Mac mini - it lists

Name.                               Type
Internal Speakers.              Built-in
Sigma SSP                         HDMI
Sigma SSP                         USB
Sigma SSP.                        Airplay

USB is highlighted as default, when I press PLAY of any song on JRiver iPhone app, is switches to the previous choice (HDMI) If I remove the USB cable, it disappears as a choice (dynamic list) so HDMI becomes default highlight. When I press play on iPhone now, it switches from HDMI to Internal Speakers.

Any thoughts on how / why JRiver is doing that / how to stop it from happening? I can't be sure its the cause of inconsistent results, but it surely is suspect.       
Instead of choosing the audio device in system preferences, choose it in MC's Audio Device settings.
If you want more than one way to access the device you can create multiple zones in MC with each one configured using a different audio device.

celt16

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2022, 01:01:50 pm »

and building on last post ... sound choice toggles from HDMI to USB when I hit PLAY on JRiver iPhone app, and when I hit square box to right of play button (don't know what its called) it toggles back to HDMI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up