INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can JRiver MC Do DVD and BD Movie Upscaling?  (Read 2529 times)

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck
Can JRiver MC Do DVD and BD Movie Upscaling?
« on: December 18, 2019, 11:16:09 am »

Does MC have this specific feature, or can it be otherwise enabled?

If yes, has anyone determined, depending the desktop's CPU and graphics resources, if MC can upscale 480p and 1080p movies as good or better than can, say, an Oppo 203 player or better?

Or the upscaler in the top model Sony OLED TV?

With my next desktop pc I want to use MC to play decrypted BD movies and output decoded DTS-HD MA via USB to this excellent multi DAC. https://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid/74/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/179/Configuring-JRiver-Media-Center-for-Windows-for-Bitperfect-ASIO-Playback-with-exaSound-DACs.aspx

So if MC doesn't do DVD and BD movie upscaling I really hope developers will consider adding it soon.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can JRiver MC Do DVD and BD Movie Upscaling?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 11:35:13 am »

Yes it does. Check out the Red October settings. MC can use madVR for upscaling. It requires a heavy duty GPU to use the high quality settings. CPU doesn't matter that much.

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 05:58:31 pm »

Yes it does. Check out the Red October settings. MC can use madVR for upscaling. It requires a heavy duty GPU to use the high quality settings. CPU doesn't matter that much.
Would the desktop graphics card have to be more powerful than those recommended for use with Vegas Pro editing software? https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/sem/vegas-pro/specifications/#productMenu

And when upscaling DVDs and 1080p BD would these or other recommended graphics cards tend to generate lots of heat and fan noise? If yes, it would kind of defeat the purpose to have it connected to one's home theater.

Lastly, if you use MC for upscaling this kind of video content does the BD drive in your desktop also making any appreciable noise not masked by your sound system?

rec head

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 06:03:52 pm »

I have an Nvidia 1060 and don't notice any noise.

I don't hear the BD drive because all my movies are ripped and on a NAS in another room. Personally I don't see the point of using a PC to play discs vs a standalone player. I guess madVR would probably upscale better than most players.

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 11:11:02 am »

I have an Nvidia 1060 and don't notice any noise.

I don't hear the BD drive because all my movies are ripped and on a NAS in another room. Personally I don't see the point of using a PC to play discs vs a standalone player. I guess madVR would probably upscale better than most players.
That 1060 card looks to have a 120W TDP. Of course if the NAS is in another then the spinning HDD noise (if not SDDs) would surely be below the threshold of normal hearing. But if the NAS routes video from the other room-to the pc which presumably is in your viewing room-is that 1060 card in a full size ATX case? And how far from your viewing chair?   

rec head

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 04:24:27 pm »

Chair is about 6'-8'. Nobody notices the computer noise. It may be audible when the room is quiet but with anything playing even at a low volume. HTPC is in a full ATX case. The NAS is actually right by the HTPC but I built an actively cooled case for it.

FWIW I find playing rips the best way to watch stuff. The process of ripping a disc during the day might take a few minutes but I'd rather spend those few minutes when I'm not trying to sit down and enjoy a movie. If I have to play a disc because it won't rip I use a dedicated player which is easy and reliable even if there are FBI warnings.

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 10:59:43 am »

Chair is about 6'-8'. Nobody notices the computer noise. It may be audible when the room is quiet but with anything playing even at a low volume. HTPC is in a full ATX case. The NAS is actually right by the HTPC but I built an actively cooled case for it.

FWIW I find playing rips the best way to watch stuff. The process of ripping a disc during the day might take a few minutes but I'd rather spend those few minutes when I'm not trying to sit down and enjoy a movie. If I have to play a disc because it won't rip I use a dedicated player which is easy and reliable even if there are FBI warnings.
But if I could find this box for this price would it solve ALL of my DVD scaling problems?
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/sold-lumagen-radiance-mini-3d-300.3171076/
Pages: [1]   Go Up