INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MakeMKV in MC - typing is wonky and ripping 2 discs can cause MC hangs  (Read 676 times)

slerch666

• World Citizen

Since I can't get MC to play nice if MakeMKV is running (MC tries to scan drives relentlessly, eventually causing MC to crash/hang permanently and any open instance of MakeMKV will error out), I started trying to use MC w/ MakeMKV but the experience is not exactly a confidence builder for me. Maybe it's something I am doing, and I am open to anything folks recommend.

If I swap discs, say I am ripping 2 discs, one finishes and I want to move to the next, there's a high probability that MC will hang, and maybe eventually it will continue on to scanning the drive and letting me rip, but if it hangs for a long period, which it tends to do often, it will hang the program to the point of having to reboot or wait 20+ minutes to let MC open again while Windows tries to kill hung processes.

If I put 2 discs in at the same time, no MakeMKV process running, they run fine. As soon as I swap one of the discs on completion, drop another disc in, it will most likely hang MC.

It seems MC really, really, really only wants you to rip 1 disc at a time or only swapping discs at the same time. With 3500+ discs I am ripping through, this is tiresome and not efficient.

The other issue is weird. I will try to type names into the MakeMKV boxes and if I hit a space, I lose focus on the window. I cannot type a space. While I can get around it with _ and such, in MakeMKV there is zero limitation like this and I would like to use spaces.

Both of these issues occur in MC 29 on a Windows 10 PC I have and my main Win 11 PC.

If there isn't a way for me to make the MakeMKV process more reliable, is there any way I can just kill the disc scanning process in MC when a new disc is inserted and go back to using MakeMKV which is reliable as long as MC isn't running?

Before anyone recommends turning off Windows defender etc, MakeMKV does not have either of these issues; I can rip and swap with no problem. I have also disabled Defender completely and it still has the same issues, so antivirus is not my issue.

Thanks!

slerch666

• World Citizen

I have resorted, reluctantly, sadly, to using PlexAmp for music playback when I am ripping.

I will use 2x instances of MakeMKV with PlexAmp and no problems. MC stays firmly closed.

It makes me feel dirty since the only reason I even have a Plex instance is my wife really needs a Netflix like experience for everything.

Makes me "happy" I have an alternative but less than ideal for how I really want to listen to music while ripping stuff and doing my job. PlexAmp is wonky in its own way for how I want to play music; music being my primary thing in MC and it's perfect for how I want to listen.

Seriously, any and all help is appreciated.

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe

What version of MakeMKV are you running?

slerch666

• World Citizen

What version of MakeMKV are you running?
1.16.7 GUI and MakeMKV version.

Registered user as well, if that matters.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Since I can't get MC to play nice if MakeMKV is running (MC tries to scan drives relentlessly, eventually causing MC to crash/hang permanently and any open instance of MakeMKV will error out),
I wonder if that's related to a change we made in 29.0.33:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=118858.0

slerch666

• World Citizen

I didn't really find anything in that link and I went and looked at the update specific to 29.0.33 but I do not see what you mean Jim. I don't see anything on MakeMKV in the thread and wasn't sure if maybe you meant a different process. Sorry.

I have found a workflow that is super rickety that works. I close full MakeMKV when I put a new disc in, let MC scan the disc, then reopen MakeMKV and it won't cause MC issues. The problem is if I forget, I either have to wait for MakeMKV to finish to pop a disc out (while MC continues trying to spin drives) or pop discs out mid rip and restart them.

I tried using just MC again yesterday. First 3 or 4 discs it went fine, but then MC crashed for some reason while MakeMKV process it spawned continued for a very brief period of time. This is when I went back to full MakeMKV and closing between rips.

If there any logs or anything I can collect that might help, let me know and I can collect them.

I know I can just listen via PlexAmp while I am ripping but it is not my preference. I also understand my situation maybe isn't the same as everyone else so I can just suck it up and move on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up