INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep unprocessed channels in DSP chain  (Read 508 times)

Ongii

• Recent member
Keep unprocessed channels in DSP chain
« on: April 24, 2022, 01:15:12 pm »

Hello!
It would be great if following scenario was possible.
1. Output format channels: 10
2. Parametric equalizer copies LEFT to Channel 9, and RIGHT to Channel 10
3. DSP processes the first 8 channels (in my very own case: Dirac Live DSP with a 7.1 filter)
4. Channels 9 and 10 are kept (!!!), and the whole goes to a multichannel DAC (in my case: Focusrite 18i10).

Why? This way I could use channels 9+10 as unprocessed copies, and listen to them via headphones.
At the moment, these channels "disappear" after the Dirac Live DSP has worked on them.

As an alternative, if it's not possible to tell a DSP to limit its work on a subset of the channels, maybe it's possible to introduce an offset (and then the first channels would be used/kept as unprocessed copies)?

Cheers

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Keep unprocessed channels in DSP chain
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 02:13:44 pm »

It sounds like Dirac problem to me, or perhaps a vst one. MC on its own behaves as you want.

Ongii

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 03:52:05 pm »

It sounds like Dirac problem to me, or perhaps a vst one. MC on its own behaves as you want.
As a programmer, I would say in such a case it is JRiver who has to pass just 8 of the channels to the DSP, and actively do something (=save in memory) to keep the other 2 channels alive.
In fact, I know the whole story can create than a misalignment in time, between the 8 and the other 2 channels

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 04:42:05 pm »

To expand on my comment, the dirac site says it supports the following

Supported Multichannel Configurations
• 2.0, 2.1, 3,1, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1, 5.0.2, 5.1.2, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1, 7.0.2, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, 9.1.4, Quadraphonic, Pentagonal, Hexagonal, Octagonal, Ambisonic

• Standalone has an eight channel limit

I think the question would be how does that relate to a 10 channel output format? I don't use Dirac so couldn't comment on that. Do you tell it a particular channel layout? If not, I would think jriver had to tell it the correct layout when loading the plug-in.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 06:19:06 pm »

If you want unprocessed channels for headphones, then why don't you just create another Zone for headphone playback? Do you want the 7.1 and the headphones to playback simultaneously?
Pages: [1]   Go Up