INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with large music collections  (Read 813 times)

BigBoy

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Help with large music collections
« on: March 15, 2003, 05:37:14 pm »

MJ8 worked great up to about 85,000 clips though it took awhile to remove missing files. About the time MC9 became available, I was pushing 95,000, and MJ8 had become very slow. MC9 was a great improvement which cut the remove missing files time from 45 minutes to about 5 minutes.

The import files however still takes about 1 hour per hard drive, depending on the drive size.... and now approaching
110,000 clips/mp3's, it too has become slow to respond to any commands, though it does eventually.

Lest anyone think I'm complaining about MC9, Windows  Media becomes unusable at about  2500 clips, and Real One at about 20,000 clips. The only real competitor is PhatNoise which I've tested up to about 65,000 clips, when it too becomes slow to respond.

So, I have two questions, and welcome any and all suggestions.

With an 800MHZ Celeron computer, is there any way to improve performance, by adding more memory etc.

Or can I do multiple installs of MC9 to keep the DBase each install handles under 70,000 files or so?

WendtCreations

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Help with large music collections
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 09:58:38 pm »

ok, I am posting this so you can use it as a reference.  You said that Windows Media Player for you gets bad at around 2500 files, well for me, Windows Media Player has absolutely no problem handling more than 8,000 files.  My system is a P4 with 512MB of memory AND the files are on a network, not even on my local hard drive.

So, although I have no idea how to improve MC9 specifically (I have no where near as many files as you) - I think it is obvious that memory and processor do make a huge difference, since our result in Windows Media Player are so different.

I hope that helps just a little bit.

nila

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 02:45:59 am »

You dont need to do seperate installs.

The feature your looking for is MJ's Library feature.
Go to the file menu and you can see it in there.

You basically put whatever files you want into a library, then can switch libraries.

It just makes seperate db's with whatever you want in each one so it'd do exactly what you want with just one instance of MJ.

You can then choose to load up whichever library you want, I think you might even be able to load multiple libraries but I cant remember.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 03:03:25 am »

I would say you need more horsepower to improve performance too.  I have at 2.5 P4, 1G RAM, and 120G HD w/8mb of cache and I have no problem managing 11,000+ MP3s (60G at 192) with MC9, WMP or AudioTron.

nila

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 04:44:48 am »

Yeah - what're your system specs?
RAM? OS? etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up