INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MC Architecture: Windows or open mediavault or? for File Server?  (Read 1011 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe

The last 4.8 years I had a media server build of Asus P10I-S with 16 GB ECC RAM, 2c4T 3.9 GHz and Windows 10 running MC Client and MC Server. P10I-S does and will not support Windows 11. Dead End. The new Asus P12I-R only supports Linux and Windows Server. Disk capacity (46 TB now - unformatted) also needs an update -> I am planning for new architecture for the next five to seven years.

So it's guaranteed that I would buy MC upgrades over the next 5-7 years  :).

P10I-S was very reliable up to now, availability was > 99.99 % over the last 4.8 years - like IBM Mainframe! Central Backup was done through Arconis for WD. It has worked without any fault.

Key requirement:
- I want to put the server into a separate room managed remotely.
- I like small cases because space is limited  - no reuse of big towers. I have Lian Li PC-Q25B.

Because of the Client Server Architecture of MC, I would like to have only one MC Main -> so I would move MC Server and MC Client to my Workstation and my Media Renderer in the Living Room is a Client to MC Server. (in the past 4.8 years I really disliked  :( that I had to use local MC Client to play Music on my Workstation, but if I want to use Lib Tools, I had to do remote Windows session to my MC Server).  So my Server will be only a File Server (current planning) with central backup.

Server and Workstation will be connected over 2.5 Gb network.

Questions:
1. Is open mediavault good for use as a Fileserver and are the backup utilities good enough or should I buy Arcronis?
2. Can open mediavault backup to the Cloud?
3. Any hickups of mixed use of Windows/Linux (e.g. File Systems)?
4. Any other suggestions, comments?

Thank you very much for your help!

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )
Pages: [1]   Go Up