INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR frame rate / refresh rate  (Read 842 times)

mkolmar

• Recent member
JRVR frame rate / refresh rate
« on: April 28, 2022, 07:16:06 pm »

Trying MC 29.0.40. JRVR is working well, up to a point. The good news is that my not-very-powerful fanless PC, using JRVR, is able to upscale DVD to 1080p using Cubic or Spline. MadVR can't do better than Bilinear at 1080p.

The main issue is that I cannot figure out how JRVR sets the refresh rate / vsync, or make it use desktop settings. The first Blu Ray I tried played film at 23p (good). The next Blu Ray I tried has titles that should display at 59p, but instead played at 23p (bad) dropping frames. A different Blu Ray film seemingly wants to play at 59p, though I got it to do 23p at some point. At times, JRVR seemingly got stuck at 59p, then stuck at 23p, then stuck in 59p again without any obvious relationship between these and the film or video material on the disc, and "change mode" settings. Haven't tried PAL / 50Hz yet.

I have tried every combination of Video > Display Settings > change mode, which frankly doesn't seem to have any predictable effect on this situation. Refresh rate in graphics control panel doesn't seem to make a difference -- that is, I couldn't find a way to make JRVR default to desktop settings. Keeping in mind that Blu Ray menus complicate matters, I tested this mainly with title playback.

MadVR never worked correctly with regard to refresh rate on Blu Ray if I use menus. But I could force it to use the desired modes in Title playback, a decent workaround.

Integrated GPU seemingly is too feeble to be able to deinterlace. MadVR exhibits combing in that case, which is fair. (A setting used to work where MadVR would try to deinterlace, and the PC could not keep up at 720p.) Is there a setting in JRVR that would tell it not to deinterlace? PC is also admittely marginal to deal reliably with HD video such as Blu Ray extras -- some of this stuff might be 1080i. I suspect this is an issue when using JRVR, which reports dropping like half the frames in some content even while render times are supposedly around 11ms? I may be able to tell more after I've tried non-film DVDs and a couple of other discs.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: JRVR frame rate / refresh rate
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 08:42:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure (but Hendrik will correct me), that the Display Rate switching only does its thing ONCE and just prior to the commencement of playback (so it is stable before playback commences) and does not change display rates during playback even if the content is multi clip/multi fps.  The Display Rate selected is that which is stored in the Library's "FPS" tag.  I've no issue with Title Playback (it all works) and even with Menu Playback I'm fine as I'm just watching the Main Title or in a TV Disc the various EPS (which is what is used to create the FPS tag).  The other way to deal with extra that have different FPS on one disc would be to use the "Particle" tool that will make a separate entry in the database for each Title with their own values that you could then play directly.
JRiver CEO Elect

mkolmar

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 11:49:04 am »

Yes, jmone, I accept the limitation that the frame rate is set upon playback. As it's been explained, once MC has launched the BD menu, that effectively becomes the player. Unlike a standalone player, it cannot change display rate. If I use the menu to navigate, and the display is 23p, it will play non-film video at 23p. Instead, I would do title playback. MC prompts for Blu Ray menu or title playback, and I choose title.

There might be a way to configure MC's display rate changes to do this (whether using JRVR or MadVR), but up to now I'm using profiles with allowable display modes in MadVR. So film could play at 23p (or 59p), non-film video at 59p (or 29p for that matter), PAL at 50p automatically. I think there was a way to depend on desktop settings only, but I've let MadVR deal with it for a long time.

With JRVR, there seems to be a disconnect between desktop settings, the display rate JRVR chooses, configuration for change mode, and the content. I'm hoping the issue is that I don't know how to configure it correctly. Film at 59p instead of 23p is not a show-stopper, but video at 23p kind of is.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 05:39:47 pm »

At least for me, I've not seen issues with the Display Rate Changer for either Title or Full menu playback.  It correctly switches the display to the correct Freq based on the FPS field in the Library.  For example I can play a "normal" UHD BD @ 23.976, then say "Billy Lynn" that is 59.94, then a PAL 50hz video and it works fine.

That said I'm a little confused, can you give an example of the disks/titles you play and in what order where it starts to fail and I can see if I can reproduce it?
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 05:13:41 pm »

JRVR is not involved at all in refresh rate changing, the switch is done before the video is even loaded. It will only look at the FPS tag in your library, and switch based on that. You can check the tag in your library and then determine what it'll switch to.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mkolmar

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 04:34:45 pm »

A Clockwork Orange has the movie that first came up at 23p automatically. JRVR stays at 23p if I switch to one of the extras that's a TV source. None of the automatic frame rate settings seem to change this. Title playback does not change this. JRVR does use the setting associated with the disc. I guess the "automatic" change, such as it is, is based on a one-time detection for the whole disc.

It would be helpful if this functionality were exposed in a more immediate way. Very many Blu Rays contain a mix of formats, and it seems like we need to assert 23p or 29p per title. (59p wouldn't be the worst thing, but I do want to play back film at film FPS.)

If I enter 59.94 FPS for the disc, and play the extras, JRVR plays at 29.97 and reports ~30 drops/sec. It's not obviously choppy in any way despite the reported drops. At least one of those titles is probably interlaced, so I have to wonder if the drops are expected.

If auto display rate is off, I was able to play back with desktop settings. But it was necessary to start the title, stop, change desktop, and play title again. Note I was able to get 59.94Hz based on desktop settings.

If the FPS is detected once per disc, does that mean the FPS of the menu (or ads/warnings) might be detected and stored? Namely, could MC determine the FPS for the disc is 23.97 or 29.97/59.94 because the menu or first title played was that rate?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 04:57:49 pm »

As was said above, the FPS is stored in the database FPS field. There is only one such field per database entry. Whatever is in that field is going to be used, irrespective of content. We have no immediate plans to allow mid-playback switching when the rate changes, as thats rather unstable and can easily cause playback issues, both for audio and video.

The detection should always favor the main movie title though.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mkolmar

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 12:17:46 pm »

I appreciate some of the problems around menu-based playback, especially. Where menu-based playback is a priority, 59p (and 50p) are fine. This shouldn't be an issue at all with TV series, and not much of a concern for DVD film either. Occasionally I run into a BD with a short feature film and a long extra.

MadVR probably cannot change display mode during menu-based playback. It is able to change display mode for title playback -- Play, choose title playback when prompted for menu/title, go to another title as needed, and it changes to one of the acceptable modes configured in MadVR. Similar feature in JRVR would be nice to have.

Library field is a good enough workaround for now, and looks like a firm hook into display mode changes.

JRVR seems to be strategically necessary, and is already as good or better than MadVR in performance and features for the way I use it. Definitely worth the upgrade to MC29.
Pages: [1]   Go Up