INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem With Skipping Videos  (Read 424 times)

FKatz

• Recent member
Problem With Skipping Videos
« on: May 14, 2022, 08:05:09 pm »

Hello folks - I'm having an problem that is complicated by the fact that I have a bunch of new elements and I don't know which one is causing the problem.

I was using a mini computer for home theater which died. I replaced it with a new mini computer which has an Intel Core i5 @ 2.40GHz, 16.0GB Dual-Channel Ram with Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655. It also has Windows 11 Pro 64 bit. I was previously using Windows 10.

This is running through a 10 year old Yamaha receiver into a 15 year old Samsung 40" TV.

I recently decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to JRiver 29.  It seemed O.K. at first but in the past few days I've had a problem watching videos. The video will frequently skip ahead a few seconds throughout its running time which makes watching it pretty much impossible.

To confound the situation I downloaded Kodi and after importing some videos found that it did the same thing!!

I also have Pot Player and that seems to play the video without any problems.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? The computer, Windows 11 or JRiver (and Kodi)

Any help will be much appreciated. I can continue using PotPlayer but would prefer the convenience of JRiver.
Thanks
Frank

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem With Skipping Videos
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 09:37:14 pm »

Are the files on a local drive?

Are they being converted?

It's possible that Pot Player is converting to a lower bandwidth file.

FKatz

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 02:54:31 pm »

The files are on a 4 TB external hard drive connected to the computer via USB. My new computer came with a 500 GB SSD drive so I could transfer some of my videos to that drive and see if the problem still occurs.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Are they being converted." Most of the files are mp4 or mkv which have worked fine on JRiver in the past on my previous setup.

I'm sure it's possible that Pot Player is converting to a lower bandwidth file but, at least I can watch a video smoothly.

I'll report back on how things go when I transfer some of my videos to the SSD but it worked fine before with the external drive.

Any further input would be much appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 04:50:07 pm »

Make sure the drive is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.  Try others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up