INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Typing characters with diacritical marks  (Read 482 times)

Tango-DJ

• Recent member
Typing characters with diacritical marks
« on: May 29, 2022, 03:47:56 pm »

On MacOS, I am unable to insert characters with diacritical marks as I normally do, i.e. using dead keys. For example, if I type Option-e followed by a, an a rather than an á is inserted. The only way I've found to insert these characters when using MediaCenter is by long-pressing the main letter and then selecting the diacritical mark from the accent menu, but that's very tedious. Is there a way of fixing this?

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Typing characters with diacritical marks
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 07:21:02 am »

As no-one replied up to now, I will do:
I made a request about a more Mac-like handling of special characters several times
over the years and hoped that something would change.
As with the windows management, the use of keyboard shortcuts and many other things
it doesn't change toward more Mac compatibility. They are cooking their own soup. It's ok,
because no comparable software for the Mac exists.
For sure not Apple Music.
But since this became lossless it lives a peaceful coexistence with MC.
Frank

Tango-DJ

• Recent member
Re: Typing characters with diacritical marks
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 10:29:56 am »

Thank you for the reply.

I'm a bit surprised that proper handling of characters isn't prioritized, given how feature-rich Media Center is and how basic this functionality is to users whose native language isn't English or whose music collection is largely comprised of songs in "foreign" languages. I type several dozen accented characters on a typical editing session, and having to long-press a key each time to get the character I need doesn't seem sustainable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up