INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to batch delete MJMD tags in image files? [Solved]  (Read 431 times)

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to batch delete MJMD tags in image files? [Solved]
« on: June 02, 2022, 04:00:06 pm »

The MJMD tags in my *.jpg and *.jpeg image files (written by MC) still contain a few old custom tags that I deleted from MC.  I would like to remove those tags from the files.

One approach would be to batch delete MJMD tags from all image files, then use MC to restore current tags with Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).  Note that the tool updates or adds tags as needed, but does not currently remove unused MJMD tags.

Some external image editing programs delete MJMD tags when files are saved, but I do not know how to do that efficiently on a large number of images.

(1) Is there any way to solve the problem entirely within MC?
(2) Alternatively, can you change the behavior of Library Tools > Update Tags (from library) to strictly mirror the current set of library tags or make it an option?

MC 29.0.55   Win 10/11 (64-bit)

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: How to batch delete MJMD tags in image files?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 01:50:49 am »

It's an interesting question.

MC's own "remove tags" option gets rid of just about everything, which is, I suppose, to be expected.

Currently, what you ask is not possible within MC. JRiver do like, wherever they can, to fill in missing bits of workflow that neccessitate the use of a third party app, so, you never know, dev time and finance permitting, this might come to an MC build in the future.

In the meantime, whenever I find myself in this situation, which is rarely now, but in the past, when I was trialling one image app after another, which filled the file's tags with all manner of rubbish, I turn to the rather good, free for personal use, XnView MP.

In there, under "Tools > Metadata > Clean", one of the options is to "remove all other app markers", which does exactly what you ask, in that it removes the MJMD tag block, preserving all other IPTC, EXIF and XMP data.

Once done with that, go back to MC and run the update tags from library on them all to have MC write the current MJMD tag bock back into the files.

-marko

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
Re: How to batch delete MJMD tags in image files?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 12:11:44 pm »

@marko:  solved - very very cool.  I've been a dedicated user of XnView for many years, but never explored the feature you describe above.  It works a charm.  Here are details of batch processing if anyone else is interested:

1) In XnView MP Folders view, select top level directory of your image folders.  In my case this is same as top level music folder since I am operating on sidecar files.
2) Filter by "Images (+folders)"
3) View > Show files in subfolders and select all <CTRL>+a
4) Tools > Metadata > Clean...   Uncheck all except last box, as shown by Marko above
5) OK

In one fell swoop, all of MC's MJMD tags are gone!

In an MC image view, select all images and then Library Tools > Update Tags (from library)

Voila, all MJMD tags updated in the image files.  Again, very very cool.  Bravo marko!  ;)

In hindsight, MC's current methodology has its benefits.  The old unused tags data has occasionally saved me when I messed up newer tags, particularly with regard to dates.  But the option to clean up these tags within MC, when desired, would be a handy feature once in a while.

Pages: [1]   Go Up