INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to use JR MC29 with a Lumagen 4242?  (Read 601 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Best way to use JR MC29 with a Lumagen 4242?
« on: June 04, 2022, 01:21:22 am »

Ive searched everywhere and cant really find any answers on this question....

I have access to a Lumagen 4242 and curious to see how it could be used with my JR MC29?
Currently I use madvr Red October with JR MC29, do I feed that into the Lumagen or do I use JRVR into the Lumaggen 4242?

I want the signal from the PC to be as clean as possible with no scaling etc etc going on from JRVR or madvr. Im wanting all enhancements and upscaling to 4K happening in the Lumagen....

I would love to know if any JR guys are doing this and whats the best way to tackle it?

Thanks in advance...

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

murray

Re: Best way to use JR MC29 with a Lumagen 4242?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 02:30:17 am »

See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,131919.0.html
Ok I think I need to change my approach to the request that voodoo5 wants in that thread looks like its a massive complex way of doing things. I dont care to run that way and downscale my PC at all, it already has the 3080 video card and Im happy to stay this way and allow the upscaling to happen in my PC as this sounds easier....

So how can JRVR or madvr within MC29 be sent off to the Lumagen 4242 in the least modified way after being upscaled to 4K? I want the Lumagen to use its magic settings and enhancements..... Does one just feed JRVR or madvr to the Lumagen with all the enhancements turned off on madvr or JRVR?

If this is the case what would be easier or least untouched to the Lumagen, JRVR or madvr Red October?

BTW I would be using the Lumagen for tone mapping...

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 03:30:34 am »

so you just want to use the lumagen for tonemapping? if so, I would think you just need to send it as HDR

murray

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 04:19:11 am »

so you just want to use the lumagen for tonemapping? if so, I would think you just need to send it as HDR
No not just for tonemapping I want to use all the options of enhancements the Lumagen has, e.g. all the "other" options that are similar in madvr which JRVR doesnt have. In other words maybe I can just use JRVR and create all the enhancements that it doesnt have...

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 04:33:31 am »

Just use madvr and turn off those options then, it's basically how madvr is setup by default anyway

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 05:16:11 am »

We need to separate out a few things:
- Decoding:  All renders should be identical on this, EVR, JRVR, madVR - it does not matter
- Scaling Luma/Chroma: Where do you want this be done?  You have three options, either have the HTPC do the initial scaling to your target Luma resolution (and corresponding 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 for Chroma) or use profiles in madVR (and upcoming) / JRVR to output native resolution for the Lumagen to then do the scaling... and finally just let the display device do it.  Each renderer (madVR, JRVR, Lumagen, Display Device) has their own features, scalers, enhancer etc etc.  They will be a matter of preference and none will be "correct" as they all are inventing information that does not exist but is extrapolated from the input for the final display.
- Tone Mapping: If you have a colour space that needs mapping from Source to Display, then where do you want this done?  The options are HTPC (madVR, JRVR), Lumagen, or the Display Device itself.... or even some combination of all three.

Typically, the Display Device will have the weakest processor (performance wise) but does have the advantage of being customised for it's particular display.  Your 3080 vs Lumagen Vs Envy (etc) will be on par performance wise.

The question then gets down to how well the various algos used for the Scalers/Enchanters/Tone Mappers by madVR / JRVR / Lumagen / Envy compare.  On this comparison I've no idea!

If you were keen on the Lumagen option for most of the processing then I'd suggest:
- JRVR (when profiles are added)
- output at native (luma) resolution passing through HDR meta data (when appropriate)

The other option is to convince Hendrik to implement what you think is missing from JRVR that the Lumagen has.  Your 3080 has plenty of untapped horse power, and would save heaps of coin and simplifies that chain if it is built into JRVR.  It's all just algos. 

Given the current state of madVR development on the HTPC, I hesitate to recommend this option these days.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up