INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: routing multichannel audio to multiple devices?  (Read 605 times)

kenshone

• Recent member
routing multichannel audio to multiple devices?
« on: June 07, 2022, 12:41:09 pm »

I'm trying to setup multichannel audio right now - 4.2. I have 3 stereo DAC's available, and was hoping to route front L/R to DAC 1, rear L/R to DAC 2, and sub 1/2 to DAC 3. Is this possible with JRiver?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: routing multichannel audio to multiple devices?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 03:15:15 pm »

Only if they are presented to MC as a single device (e.g. one device is the lead, the others slaved to it via ADAT). I don't recall if Windows has any 3rd party app which can do such a thing in software.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 03:15:57 pm »

Hi

may be there is a way with several DAC's. I just would forget it... only hassles, no fun...

I recommend to get a multichannel audiointerface then it works like a charm. Any amount of channel you like.

Multichannel audiointerfaces are available from many vendors: RME, Lynx, Motu, Steinberg, Focusrite, Merging etc.

I use a RME Fireface UFX II to drive 4 way stereo front speaker (Linkwitz LX521.4) and two surround speakers (Genelec 8330), totalling to a 4.0 system.

I play 5.1 surround on it.

Peter

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 05:19:28 pm »

Only if they are presented to MC as a single device (e.g. one device is the lead, the others slaved to it via ADAT). I don't recall if Windows has any 3rd party app which can do such a thing in software.
It can be done easily in Mac and some have been able to get it to work in Windows using ASIO4ALL.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

kenshone

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 07:02:54 pm »

Hi

may be there is a way with several DAC's. I just would forget it... only hassles, no fun...

I recommend to get a multichannel audiointerface then it works like a charm. Any amount of channel you like.

Multichannel audiointerfaces are available from many vendors: RME, Lynx, Motu, Steinberg, Focusrite, Merging etc.

I use a RME Fireface UFX II to drive 4 way stereo front speaker (Linkwitz LX521.4) and two surround speakers (Genelec 8330), totalling to a 4.0 system.

I play 5.1 surround on it.

Peter

Okay, I'm thinking about trying an RME Digiface USB to present a single device to my PC, and use the RME to chain to multiple DAC's for 6+ channel audio. Do I need to do anything special to get JRiver to recognize my RME Digiface USB as being a 6+ channel audio device?

kenshone

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 07:05:47 pm »

Product link to RME Digiface USB for reference: https://www.rme-usa.com/digiface-usb.html

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 02:32:48 am »

I doubt it assuming use of the asio driver, just use totalmix to route the channels from the computer to whichever channels your DAC is connected to
Pages: [1]   Go Up