INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving JRiver from Windows to Mac  (Read 478 times)

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
Moving JRiver from Windows to Mac
« on: June 13, 2022, 06:00:39 am »

I’ve looked through other posts on this and it looks like the main problem is with file name paths, and advice seems to start with a new library on Mac and reimport your audio files. 

I don’t mind too much losing playing history, etc., but I have a number of custom fields define, e.g. composer nationality, which I would like to take across.  Are these stored as metadata in the audio files and would the data be picked up if I recreated the fields in the new Mac library?

Has anyone managed the transformation from Windows to Mac successfully?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving JRiver from Windows to Mac
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 08:56:54 am »

I don't think you need to reimport.  A library backup will transfer everything, including the fields you are talking about.

The only thing you will need to mess with is the File Path to the actual media files.  You should be able to do this relatively easily with the Rename Move and Copy Files tool.  In RM&C there is a section at the bottom called "find and replace".  Using Find and Replace you can do something like this:

Find:  C:\Music
Replace:  /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/ReallyCoolGuy/Music

That will take care of the base path issue.  Then all you are left with is converting the path separator from windows (backslash \ ) to the path separator for Mac (slash / ).  There's a check box in RM&C specifically for that!  Just click the box and it should transform all of your paths.

The good news is, you can try this quite easily with an evaluation version of MC for Mac, and a library backup from your Windows MC box. 

Good luck,
Brian.

chriswimlett

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 09:44:15 am »

Thanks Brian,

That worked really well.  I didn't need to reimport anything and still have all my last played dates, etc.  I've got a master license so no problems using the Mac version,

Best,

Chris

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 12:29:22 pm »

Oh wow, already done.

Nice job!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up