INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: message, Incomplete shutdown detected  (Read 679 times)

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
message, Incomplete shutdown detected
« on: June 20, 2022, 05:03:51 pm »

I am on JRiver latest stable build ..58.  But I have gotten this message for a quite a while now. I use the close button when I shut down JRiver. On a regular basis I get this message when I Am opening JRiver:

Incomplete shut down detected after last run. It is recommended that You You allow Media Center to reset some settings in an effort to prevent the problem from happening again.  Underneith it is listed in checked boxes: 1)use default window size, position, skin and startup view 2)disabeling 3rd party plug-ins(which I dont use) 3) Use default Library

So my skin(purity) gets reset to default(which is in the message above).

I dont know what to do to make this stop. It have been like this on many builds for some time now. I think it happened on MC 28 even, if I remember correctly.

Normally a reinstall should correct this, but it doesn't. I also have gotten a message to reinstall if I remember correctly.

I don't know what to do

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: message, Incomplete shutdown detected
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 05:32:36 pm »

You could just turn off the notification by going to Tools/Options/General/Features and disable Incomplete Shutdown Dialog.

Of course, you're only treating the symptom and not the cause with this approach. That said, many years ago I too was getting "Incomplete Shutdown" message insanely frequently - it irritated me so much I turned off the notification just as I described above.  It has been that way for many years now and I have not suffered any ill effects that I'm aware of. 

Your post made me curious though, so I turned it back on again just to see what happens.  15 minutes in, so far so good ;D!

FYI… All this does when it crashes is to just crash... no dialog... no instructions on what to try to fix...  just re-launch MC and continue as if nothing happened.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 07:20:18 pm »

Thank You! some time back this could happen but a reinstall would fix it.

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 07:28:49 pm »

Another problem I also have is that when I have shut down JRiver after playing a 23.976 fps movie windows stays on this hz and I have to manually go and set it back.

often J + ctrl wont work and sometimes audio and video is out of sync to and when one adjust to this in settings display settings often it does not quite sync it.

Maybe 4k and hdr are complicating things and one gets more easily errors.

the days of 1080p when it just worked. I miss that and smooth motion like plasma.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 09:23:16 pm »

I don't have much advice to offer when it comes to video. While I do use JRiver to watch movies, I do the absolute bare minimum… That is, I hit play and I watch the movie.  I don't mess with MadVR, or JRVR, or frame rates, or aspect ratio, or any of the multitude of video tweaks you can make, as I really just don't care.  That said, I can understand your frustration with long-standing bugs and fiddling with things that you feel you shouldn't have to...

however…

I would say the chances of finding another media player where developers directly engage with users to try and solve issues are virtually zero.  For that to work however, users must be explicit in describing all that may contribute to the issue, such as your computing/network environment, what was happening exactly at that moment (the action taken and any operations that may have also been running), yada yada yada. If the error is clearly repeatable, perhaps try turning settings you suspect may affect it on and off and see if that "fixes it". To state the obvious, the more information the developers have from you the more likely it is they can zero in on the solution.

And of course, there is always the omnipresent antivirus configuration bogeyman.  If you're using a third-party antivirus, don't, and when using Windows defender, be sure it is configured per this thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,86096.0.html

tkolsto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 11:42:13 am »

yes that is true. JRiver is very helpful they really are. And I am new to this. I haven't interacted much with forum of any kind. I use JRiver for movies also and I will continue to support their work because it is a good player not only video but audio too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up