INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAC and tagging  (Read 2385 times)

bjgibbs

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
EAC and tagging
« on: March 10, 2003, 11:11:20 pm »

I'm sure there's an easy fix for this, but, for the past 6 hours, I haven't been able to figure out what it is.  I'm trying to rip using EAC, compress to .ape (within EAC) and then import the files into MC9 (or MJ8).  The ripping, compressing and importing are no problem, but, I lose ID3 tags.  EAC (through FreeDB) finds the info perfectly before I rip, but, somewhere between ripping and importing, I'm losing the majority of the information -- the only info that remains is some tweaked Track Artist or Track Name from the file naming convention used.  I'm sure that I'm not putting in the right labeling scheme in the EAC options, but I haven't been able to figure out proper labeling.  I don't want to go through each file one-by-one in MC9 and look each of them up on CDDB.  HELP?

I use Album Artist, Album Name, Track Artist, Track Number, Track Name for cataloging.

Thanks much in advance.

Brad

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: EAC and tagging
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 11:15:13 pm »

This is OT, what command line for the encoder do you use in EAC?
Made in Portugal

nila

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 11:53:11 pm »

Your probably loosing it during the encoding process.
It's not saving the tag information - this happened to me for a while before I managed to get EAC set up perfectly :)

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 11:57:15 pm »

After the command line to configure the encoder i use this; --artist "%a" --title "%t" --album "%g" --year "%y" --track "%n" --genre "%m" %s
Made in Portugal

bjgibbs

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 07:31:54 am »

Chicoselfs,

Thanks for the advice.  I copied and pasted the text into EAC settings, but still no satisfaction.

I'm currently trying to import a various artists cd (Back to Mine - Everything But the Girl) as a test.  I rip it via EAC, use Monkey's Audio through EAC (not the separate front end) and then import it to MJ8, as mentioned above.  When I view the MJ Media Library, the track #, track artist and track title all show up in the Track Name field, not in separate fields, as they should.  I get other generic information like track length, etc., but nothing to identify the tracks, like Album Artist, Genre, Year, Album Title, etc.

In the EAC Compression page, tagging section, I've checked the top three boxes (re using ID3v2, etc. - don't have the program on this computer...).  Could this be causing problems for MJ?  I thought it would support ID3v2, but maybe not?

Also, where do you save the compressed files?  Do you put all of a cd's tracks into one folder, named after the cd's title, inside another folder, named after the album artist?  Or do you put all of the compressed files from all cd's together in one large folder and let them run around Commando-style, wearing only their ID3 tags?

Thanks in advance.

Brad

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 07:49:11 am »

You have EAC not well configured, try this setting

NOTE: thats configurated to MPC just make the changes for APE encoder

Made in Portugal

bjgibbs

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 08:04:27 am »

Chicoselfs,

Thanks again for the response.  

To change the command line for use with .ape, can I use just the command line you gave me a couple of posts ago? (--artist "%a" --title "%t" --album "%g" --year "%y" --track "%n" --genre "%m" %s )  Or, do I need to add something in before that?

Unchecking the "Add ID3 tag" is a bit counterintuitive....

I'll try this when I get home and report back.

Thanks again.

Brad

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 08:56:43 am »

Nice screenshots, Chico. :)

I've always found EAC works best with Monkey's when you use the .dll included, which will automatically tag the files with out any need for a long commandline.

In EAC, go to Compression Options (F11). On the Waveform tab, choose Monkey's Audio from the Wave Format drop down list. Choose your desired compression level from the Sample Format drop down.

On the External Compression tab, make sure that Add ID3 Tag is unchecked. Then make sure that Use External Program For Compression is unchecked.

On the ID3 Tag tab make sure that all three ID3 tag options are unchecked.

Now, as long as you have your filenaming parameters set up correctly in EAC Options (F9)/Filename you shouldn't have a problem with the tags.

Unchecking the "Add ID3 tag" is a bit counterintuitive...

ID3 tags are pretty much only used for MP3 (and maybe FLAC). Monkey's uses it's own tagging system called APE tags (which are also the preferred format for tagging MPC). So if you are encoding in formats other than MP3 you should always uncheck all of the ID3 options.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up