INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display turning off while watching Blu-ray etc.  (Read 708 times)

milsdrewbulch

• Junior Woodchuck
Display turning off while watching Blu-ray etc.
« on: August 01, 2022, 11:35:04 pm »

I have Windows 10 set to turn off the displays after 5 minutes, but surely while playing a Blu-ray or DVD, MC should override this and keep the displays on without my having to keep moving the mouse or use the keyboard while watching the movie. My 4K monitors are connected via DisplayPort and in the Audio settings Disable displays from turning off is checked and that works for audio playback, but has no affect during video playback. Am on the latest stable build. I think this used to be fine some time ago. Many hours spent trying to find a setting here, in Windows power options, and in NVidia Control Panel to no avail. Any help welcome. Thx.

milsdrewbulch

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Display turning off while watching Blu-ray etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 04:37:29 am »

Is this a recent bug in MC29? Watching YouTube in Firefox keeps the display on.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 02:13:37 am »

This seems to be an isolated issue, as I'm definitely not seeing it, and others would've reported it I'm sure.

How do you play videos? In Theater View? In Standard View? In fullscreen?

Can you start video playback, Detach the Display (in the right click menu), and then in Standard View go to Services & Plug-ins -> Reporter, and check if it has any entries under "Power"?

This is what should be there:

(If you don't detach the display, then the first entry may not be there, because the video player is not actually visible)

Also, what Video Playback settings are you using?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

milsdrewbulch

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 05:04:28 am »

Thank you Hendrik!

Okay problem seems to be solved by detaching the display which is something I never did before. I see the two entries in Reporter that you show, but only after detaching the display. Previously I would only see the second entry while watching in standard view from which I'd double-click so the movie filled the screen.

So it seems that unless the display is "detached", the monitor powers down at the time set in Windows Power Management.

Video playback settings are the best I can squeeze out of madVR to play Blu-ray to 4K using an old Nvidia Quadro K5200.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 01:56:32 pm »

Detaching should not be required to have the behavior as desired, but without detaching the Reporter would not show the info properly, because the video would be minimized.

If you just watch in Standard View, and go fullscreen from there, it should still work. Thats what you do, and it does not work?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

milsdrewbulch

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 05:54:25 pm »

That's what I thought. Pardon my confusion.

Today I set Windows to turn off the display after just 1 minute to expedite some experiments and started a Blu-ray.

While watching it for the first time in Standard View the screen went off in 1 minute of inactivity on my part.

I moved the mouse and playback returned in Standard View.

I double-clicked the movie to fill the screen and it then kept the screen on for over a minute. This is a first for me. Perhaps since detaching the display yesterday it reset something.

Looking at the Reporter by selecting Help/System Info in the menu shows all different things under Power depending on where the video is showing (now sometimes just in the Action Window bottom left). Sometimes there is a repeated entry reporting twice that it's keeping the monitor on [with an expiry in square brackets of 1 minute].

There's a lot of inconsistency here. IMO it should just keep the monitor awake under all situations in which video is playing to any GUI arrangement. I'm sure it used to be like that as the problem started only recently for me.

Perhaps this isn't being reported by others as they have longer timings set in Windows for the screen to turn off, or it doesn't bother them???

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 04:43:23 am »

I've made some changes to hopefully keep the screen on more thoroughly during video playback. Let us know if it helps once its available.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

milsdrewbulch

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 09:15:31 pm »

Excellent. I'll test it after that and report back here. :)

milsdrewbulch

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 05:22:49 pm »

29.0.85 (8/10/2022)... 3. Changed: Video Playback will more thoroughly keep the screen from turning off.

Seems to have done the trick. Thanks so much Hendrik. Caveat: Quick test only. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up