More > JRiver Media Center 29 for Linux

Stop screen dimming when watching video

(1/4) > >>

mattkhan:
Is there a setting in MC somewhere that ensures it sends appropriate signal to power management system to not dim the screen while playing video?

I can't find one and currently have to manually change settings before playback (using KDE 5.25 on Debian testing)

alternatively is this meant to work already but doesn't (on kde)?

Hendrik:
We use DPMS to disable power management when the screen is supposed to be kept on, as well as use the X11 Screen Saver API to turn that one off. This seems to work in some situations as well.

There might be other calls that we could do using D-BUS, but all this stuff is really not well documented, unfortunately.

mattkhan:
xset -q tells me

--- Code: ---Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  600

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Disabled

--- End code ---

so I guess DPMS is not involved for me anyway, do you have the exact X11 screensaver api used so I can google that to see how/if it relates to how kde works?

Hendrik:
We call XSetScreenSaver with a timeout of 0, which is supposed to turn off the screensaver, but your report already has a timeout of 0, so its supposedly already off as well.

I assume this output was without MC running, from a fresh desktop?

I cross-checked a few other open-source multimedia projects, and on a glance all I could find was using XSetScreenSaver and DPMS as well.

mattkhan:
I gather that kde reacts to this api -> https://people.freedesktop.org/~hadess/idle-inhibition-spec/re01.html

it appears to have been around for some time and a few different linux setups implement it so seems a reasonable thing to attempt to use

could MC be extended to make use of this?

EDIT: not 100% sure this works locally (or it doesn't work using qdbus anyway...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version