INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to inexpensively stream PCM  (Read 1046 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
How to inexpensively stream PCM
« on: August 17, 2022, 08:47:44 am »

I’m presently struggling with finding a Midi cable that will stay physically connected to my iPhone Lightning port, and will be trying yet another one today. The cable, when working properly, connects the PCM stream generated from JRemote to my Topping DX3Pro+ DAC & headphone amplifier.

I’m looking for a more permanent solution, and wonder what others may be using. It would need to…
1. Connect to the MC media server, or DLNA, via wifi…
2. Provide for PCM out via USB
3. The device might include its own DAC (+ toslink), but I would want to bypass it

I suppose I could use something like the JRiver Id, but it’s much more than what I need, as well as much more than a dependable USB cable…

Cheers :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

MikeO3

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How to inexpensively stream PCM
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 05:14:18 pm »

Perhaps this could be of some interest for you.
https://ropieee.org/xl/

shAf

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 10:37:26 am »

Perhaps this could be of some interest for you.

Thanks for your response, Mike…

I’ll have to look into it, but Ropieee appears to be just the operating system & media software. Why would you suggest this over JRiver’s own Id OS running on the same hardware platform?

I’m presently looking at the Allo Signature player platform, but I’m not sure Id is compatible with it(?)

MikeO3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 11:43:42 am »

Yup. I was just suggesting a software stack but the solution your looking at provides the same functionality turnkey as a target for JRiver streams.

shAf

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 08:46:04 am »

Today I purchased an inexpensive mini-PC (Windows 10 Pro). It isn’t any larger than the DAC that it’s intended to serve. I figured the following is a possibility because I’ve used it before…

1) Install MC and, as a client, link its main library to the MC media server via LAN
2) Connect the client to my DAC via USB.
3) Configure the client’s server so that I can access it via web browser or JRemote

This method seems like a work-around for a method that may be more elegant. That is, it seems kinda dumb to run 2 servers, and connect a secondary server to a primary server when one server’s function is to share the library and the secondary server’s only function is access(?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up