INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple dates (re-issues): Expression / View Help?  (Read 273 times)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Multiple dates (re-issues): Expression / View Help?
« on: August 25, 2022, 08:07:57 am »

I'm struggling a little with this one, and would appreciate some other views  :P

Currently attempting to sort some video re-issues, and get them into my view structure. These sometimes have slightly different content/ editing, altered FX etc. hence why I'm not just doing a direct replacement.
This is basically as follows:
Artist ==> Year ==> Album (sorted by date)

Simple enough, just tag the re-issues with the original date :)
What I'd like however is for the re-issues to show up *both* on the original date and the new date. As not everything has a re-issue, I want to browse the complete collection by default, but the re-issues alone too.

My first initial thought was a new list field, e.g. Dates.
Unfortunately, this seems to have a bunch of drawbacks:
* No date list edit type.
* Year field no longer works.
* Just a textual type for sorting / formatting...

I'm sure the year issue can be solved by a calculated field somehow (probably a string split on list components into a new string list?), but I haven't got a good thought for the others.
Wondering about a new field Re-Issue Date but I'm not sure about combining two date fields for a view browse.

Anyone with advanced expression knowledge & any better ideas?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple dates (re-issues): Expression / View Help?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 09:41:59 am »

You can have:
- [Date] to store the actual release date of the Album/Re-issue
- [Original Date] to use on Re-issues, storing the date of the original album being re-issued
- sort the View with min([date],firstnotempty([original date], 99999)) to make them show up together

However, an Album will show up only once for a given View, it won't show up under multiple Years unless you add it twice to the library. You can however have 2 views/sorts, one using that expression and the other sorting just by [Date]
Pages: [1]   Go Up