INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist Information - Notes  (Read 1753 times)

EasyEd

• Recent member
Artist Information - Notes
« on: March 08, 2003, 05:35:00 am »

I have a large music collection and like to collect information about the artist.  The info currently sits in various txt, doc and htm files stored in directories named for the artist.  These are the same directories that contain my mp3s.  I am looking for some way to display the artist info in MC.  If I display the file properties for artist and paste information into the notes field, MC stories that info in the notes field of each MP3 file.  If I have 200 MP3 files for a given artist, the large amount of notes info is stored 200 times.  Apparently the artist file properties is not really the properties of artist, but a proxy for every subordinate mp3 file.  Is there any way to store info at the artist level (or album level) Or is info only stored in earch individual mp3 file?

Thanks

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Artist Information - Notes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 05:39:23 am »

>> Is there any way to store info at the artist level
>> (or album level)
No

>> is info only stored in earch individual mp3 file?
yes, and the MC9 database

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 06:05:57 am »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Too bad, I was hoping that MC could be the answer to my music database needs.  Looks like I will have to look elsewhere.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 07:32:59 am »

there is no program i know of that does what you want.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 08:48:58 am »

If you don't know of any, then I'm sure there are none.

I'm relatively new to mp3 files.  I've have a collection of about 1K CDs.  I've managed artist info (discocraphies, bios, etc) rather informally with directories for the artist.  My collection has greatly expanded since I have been collecting mp3 files, so I need something more formal.  I am surprised that others have not expressed this need  How do people keep track of info about artists that have no relationship to specific mp3 files and thus would not be appropriate to put in id3 tags?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 09:00:51 am »

not sure.

to tell you the truth most users don't seem to care.

I prefer to have mine filled cout correctly, Including all Chart Info And Lyrics

I did make a plug-in for MC that does that for you and fills in the fields.

i am trying to make it do web searches for Lyrics to fill in that info, and if i can get that working maybe Artist Bios etc....
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Yangus

• Junior Woodchuck
d'Re: Artist Information - Notes
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2003, 09:35:33 am »

Just adding my voice to EasyEd's.

I've never bothered with bios etc due to having to save the same info in every track but, thinking about it, why can't bios etc be treated the same way as album art?
I can save one jpg to my HD and have any mp3 I want point to it. Is there a problem with doing the same for a text, html file?

Just wondering.

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2003, 09:37:09 am »

I use this program, CATraxx, for cataloging my CDs and LPs. It sounds more like what you might be looking for.

http://www.fnprg.com/catraxx/catraxx.html

It can also scan directories for MP3s and can act as a frontend for Winamp 2.8x. The data management can be as simple or as comprehensive as you like. Almost every feature is customizable. The user forum is great. Questions are often anwered by the developer as well as other knowledgable users.

Rob

Yangus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2003, 10:47:47 am »

Rocketsauce,

Looks good but is basically just an MS Access database. I don't really want to have a player and a separate database for the info.

Cheers.

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2003, 12:03:10 pm »

I agree, I don't want 2 separate databases.

What I would like (and was hoping to find in MC) is when I right click on the artist in the left panel I would expect the properties that I get are the properties of the artist (which could include a notes field foor collecting info).  Similarly if I select the properites for an Album name, I would expect the properites of the album.  Instead what I get, I believe is some sort of summation of the properites of the subordinate mp3 files.  

I would also like to be able to create in album entry for an artist even though I have no mp3 files.  The album would have a property of, say, "want".  I could then list all all the want items.

Just some thoughts

rocketsauce

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2003, 12:44:56 pm »

I don't want 2 separate databases.

Well, if you were using CATraxx in combination with Winamp 2.8x, you wouldn't have two separate databases, as Winamp 2 is pretty much only a player. It doesn't really have any complex playlist/database capabilities the way that CATraxx or MC does.

when I right click on the artist in the left panel I would expect the properties that I get are the properties of the artist

what I get, I believe is some sort of summation of the properites of the subordinate mp3 files.

MCs 'Properties' are really just a way to edit/add ID3 tags. ID3 tags append artist/album/track/etc info to each individual file and are currently the standard tagging system for MP3s.

I would also like to be able to create in album entry for an artist even though I have no mp3 files.

I don't think this can be done in MC. It can be done in CATraxx

The album would have a property of, say, "want".  I could then list all all the want items.

Again, CATraxx can do this, plus tons more.

Really, to do some of the things you've mentioned in your posts, it seems like what you are looking for is a database program that can play MP3s, rather than an MP3 player that happens to have some good databse/playlist creating capabilities, which is what MC is.

Again, just my $0.02. :) CATraxx has a 30 day free trial, and Winamp is free.

Rob

EasyEd

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2003, 01:11:36 pm »

Rob

You might be right, I'll have to check CATraxx out

Thanks

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up