INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to distinguish between two TV Shows with same name  (Read 493 times)

t8193770

• Recent member
How to distinguish between two TV Shows with same name
« on: September 27, 2022, 12:56:48 pm »

Before Media Center 30 comes out, I though I would try and get my library in a good state for auto import. It is in a reasonable state apart from some TV Shows which have the same name. Below are the shows and examples of naming:-

Battlestar Galactica (1978) - S01E01 - Saga of a Star World (1)
Battlestar Galactica (2004) - S01E01 - 33
Doctor Who (1963) - S01E01 - An Unearthly Child (1)
Doctor Who (2005) - S01E01 - Rose
Porridge (1974) - S01E01 - New Faces, Old Hands
Porridge (2017) - S01E01 - The Go-Between
Yes Prime Minister (1986) - S01E01 - The Grand Design
Yes Prime Minister (2013) - S01E01 - Crisis at the Summit

The import will combine the TV shows with the same name. I have searched through the forum including similar issues on plex and Kodi but I have not found a resolution.

Is there another way of naming or a tool that could be used or am I stuck with sorting it out manually?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to distinguish between two TV Shows with same name
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 09:32:46 am »

I can confirm that Carnac does not properly handle sorting out TV Series with the same name, but different Eras.  Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who are both good examples.  Carnac does not identify them uniquely, even with the year of release is in the file name.

Plex handles this by looking at the year in the file name and then matching that up to the TV series year.  I mistakenly thought that MC did that too, but it does not seem to in my testing with the latest 29.0.87 .

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 09:59:11 am »

I just added this to our regression test:
_T("C:\\Yes Prime Minister (2013) - S01E01 - Crisis at the Summit.mkv")

It comes out with these properties:
Date: 2013;Episode: 1;Media Sub Type: TV Show;Name: Crisis at the Summit;Season: 1;Series: Yes Prime Minister

Should the series be Yes Prime Minister (2013) instead?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

t8193770

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:06:50 am »

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your reply, I was hoping it was possible but it's not a great issue, it doesn't take too long to do it manually.
It was a good thing sorting out my library, it took a long time matching up my files to the correct TMDB entry but now that that is done I won't have to do it again.

Am now looking forward to MC30.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

t8193770

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 10:21:33 am »

Hello Matt,

Yes it is is definitely 2013, it does seem to populate the correct description.

Steve

eve

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 01:56:31 pm »

Not sure if this works in JRiver (I use other programs for library management, JRiver is a playback frontend personally) but try adding IDs into your series folder name or using NFOs (does JRiver support NFOs?).

My library is ridiculously complex and has tons of stuff that wouldn't match up correctly. I went the route of generating NFOs for each piece of media / file I have. For things that share a name + year, IMDB ID goes in the folder name. Generating NFOs has made my life infinitely easier, each contains the IMDB, TMDB, and for TV the TVDB ID. No more false matches and this vastly speeds up the process of trying new library management software or moving things around. My nfos, metadata, and images live separately from my media on extremely fast SSDs then get laid over the media files as if they were a single directory.

t8193770

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 03:06:51 pm »

I will look into the nfo files, does Media Center use the sidecar xml files in a similar way on import or just for populating the data?

t8193770

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 07:40:26 am »

Have just being doing some testing. I created a folder with just the 8 files mentioned and did an import, they were all mixed up as expected. I manually did a 'Get info' which saves the sidecar xml files. I then deleted the library and imported again and it was imported correctly into 8 TV shows.

So it would appear the sidecar files work in a similar way to the nfo files.

I am now doing a test on my full library and I will try deleting and importing again after updating all file info.

If this works the same as the nfo files I will be happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up