INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyword functionality.  (Read 709 times)

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
Keyword functionality.
« on: March 07, 2003, 11:14:19 pm »

Hi everyone,

INTRODUCTION:
Firstly, I must make it clear that I use two different MC Libraries -- one for audio and the other for video. MC can have many custom fields which is one of its strength. However, because it makes no differentiation on which fields belong to which media type, it presents too much information and makes maintaining a database of significant magnitude cumbersome.

I should mention first off that this is hypothetical since the keyword functionality is specific to that field. Ideally, it would be possible to create other fields that behaved in a similar fashion.

Since we have a field that can behave as a delimited field, I am tempted to have a "people" field which is delimited and contains all the people's names.

This way, there is no tree clutter and the names are saved (potentially) with the photographs in case you need to re-import the image, or send it to someone else.

CURRENT PROBLEMS WITH KEYWORDS:
Apart from the obvious (there is no way to currently extend this functionality to other fields, so I can have a "person" field), there are a few problems that make keywords a little difficult to use.

For example: I have the following images with the following keywords:
  • Image 1: home; pet; dog
  • Image 2: home; dog; cat
  • Image 3: dog; cat; pet

If I select all the images in order to add the keyword "outdoors", I can't. Once all the images are highlighted, the keyword field reads: "<varies>". Changing that means that I will give all the images a completely new list.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
Add a new edit type: "Delimited." Thsi can also be used as  a marker for MC to see which fields it needs to check for demiliters etc. and apply the keyword functionality to.

When selecting multiple images with varying keywords, possibly show "common" keywords to all images. Adding or deleting from this list will add or remove only those keywords and leave the rest unaffected.

Or secondly, consider having a popup dialog box (in the same fashion as a memo field) in which more comprehensive KW management can be done.

Any thoughts or comments?

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

michel

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Keyword functionality.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2003, 01:09:19 am »

I can just say I would like to have "keywords" as a data type usable for others custom fields, not only "keywords" field. It is a very important functionnality moreover to manage photos. So I second Phydeaux.
Pages: [1]   Go Up