More > JRiver Media Center 30 for Mac

Remaining Problems

(1/11) > >>

aliciaviola:
Good news about MC 30: installation and import of the MC 29 library worked without any problem. Up to now: most things that worked before work with the new version, too.

I couldn't detect important new features and the "empty fields" issue and the problem with special characters greet again like an old familiar friend.

Frank

blgentry:
It's important to understand how MC does releases.  Other software companies develop their product almost "in secret" and make new features and bug fixes and gather them up for a long time before a major release.  Then, when that release comes out, all of those features come with that release.  A like a whole stack of boxes at Christmas. 

JRiver doesn't do that.  Instead, JRiver incrementally changes the software all year long.  They do dozens of releases throughout the year.  In MC29, there were 87 builds and probably 20 to 30 public releases.  That's a lot of public changes to their software.

At some point, they decide that it's been long enough on one version and go to the next.  In this case MC30.  There are normally one or two "big features" that are part of a new major release.  But they don't collect up any special bug fixes.  They aren't holding back any minor or medium impact bug fixes. 

So, you shouldn't expect that your favorite bugs will be fixed in major releases.  They will be worked on, or not worked on, throughout the year, just like in MC29. 

I'm not affiliated with JRiver in any way.  I'm a customer and have been since MC20.  So I guess I'm on my 11th major release with JRiver now.  :) 

Brian.

aliciaviola:
Dear Brian,
I understand and appreciate the numerous fixes and little additions that are made in MC.
Perhaps I wrote too much over the years about special characters or for some time about
empty fields. Sorry sometimes to sound too attacking.

But I am German and working every day with Umlauten (special characters) and working with
hundreds of tags and it's extremely getting on (at least my) nerves.

MC is the only Mac program, I know, with these issues, the only one that
writes, for instance "nervtötend" inside the program and reads and "nervto tend" from the disc.

More important: a search for Hölderlin or Janácek shows no result (instead for Holderlin or Janacek).
Again: this happens ONLY in MC and for numerous new releases now.

Frank

JimH:
We'll fix these.  Bob had an extended vacation.

As Brian said, we're early in the cycle.

bob:

--- Quote from: aliciaviola on October 08, 2022, 07:48:54 am ---Dear Brian,
I understand and appreciate the numerous fixes and little additions that are made in MC.
Perhaps I wrote too much over the years about special characters or for some time about
empty fields. Sorry sometimes to sound too attacking.

But I am German and working every day with Umlauten (special characters) and working with
hundreds of tags and it's extremely getting on (at least my) nerves.

MC is the only Mac program, I know, with these issues, the only one that
writes, for instance "nervtötend" inside the program and reads and "nervto tend" from the disc.

More important: a search for Hölderlin or Janácek shows no result (instead for Holderlin or Janacek).
Again: this happens ONLY in MC and for numerous new releases now.

Frank

--- End quote ---
How are you searching?
If I type Vänskä into the search box in the upper right, it works properly.

And about this one:
reads and "nervto tend" from the disc
Where does it READ from the disc and display that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version