INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Competition - Helium2  (Read 1061 times)

nila

The Competition - Helium2
« on: March 07, 2003, 01:48:05 am »

Hey - Not sure if your aware but Helium2 has just released a new version (1.6)
You guys might want to take a look at it before you release v9 and make sure it has no significant features that 9 doesn't have.
It wouldn't be too good to release a brand new version that on it's release date, after the compeition, still lacks features the other one posses :)

One big feature I noticed it had is the ability to have one BIG file (a full cd) and then to mark sub sections of it as individual tracks without having to break up the file.

This is one solution to what several people have been asking for with the ability to rip a cd as one track for live recordings etc.

Not sure what else it has except a new GUI - just looked at their web page :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: The Competition - Helium2
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 02:28:39 am »

I have it, I Own It, Helium2 does alot less than MC9

It is not the same type of program. Helium2 Is basicly a Full Enhanced Tagger.

It has No encoders, No visuals, Only supports some media Types etc....

The only thing that Helium2 Does well Is Analyze Mp3s and check them for Mpeg Errors.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

michel

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 02:46:16 am »

During two years I tried almost all audio managers existing. When I say "I tried" I mean I played with each one many days, not only a few minutes. I can say the following: no one could be compared to MC.

But of course, competitors can improve...

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 02:57:50 am »

Personally I think Helium2 is the best tag editor in the world.

When I got 1.6 it knocked me off my feet it was so good, especially the GUI. If I didn't know better I would have sworn it was written by the Redmond Windows XP programmers themselves.

Hats off to the Helium programming team.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 03:03:44 am »

>> Personally I think Helium2 is the best
>> tag editor in the world.
well it does have allot of editing options for sure, and some take time to learn.

I do think some of them can be layed out easyer to use.

But it does have allot of power.

Dr. Tag I Also Own Is abit easyer to use, but does not have the Power As Helium2

MC9 has improved over older versions of MJ. MC9 really has everything i Need, but most users who wish to use the Other ID3v2 Tags MC9 Currently Does Not Support Are Left In the Cold. I Did see J river Added Album Artist & Composer That Some Have Been Asking For.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2003, 03:13:04 am »

>> Personally I think Helium2 is the best
>> tag editor in the world.
well it does have allot of editing options for sure, and some take time to learn.

I do think some of them can be layed out easyer to use.

Drop them an email, they are just as responsive as J River are when it comes to fixes, features, enhancements, etc.

When I first saw their 1.6 GUI I went green with jealousy ... I want to design like that.

nila

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 04:21:14 am »

:)

That got people reacting.

I think you've missed my point though. I know MJ is a MUCH more full product and is more of a database app than a tagging app and is far better as a database or media jukebox.

My point was more that there are some features that Helium2 has that MJ could really steal (ie the ability to break up a large track into sections that it can recognise, browse etc without chopping the file) and include to make it so that it has everything as good or better than the compeition :)

I know MJ's designed to be a jukebox as it's main feature not a tagging/ripping/encoding specifc app as such but it could easily match the dedicated programs in a LOT of features very easily so that it is classed as an 'encoding app' or whatever else.

Take encoding for instance - A small GUI interface that built up the command line to pass to the encoder does not take a lot of programming but changes the encoder options from being 'basic options' to suit 'the majority of users' to being able to support any advanced users encoding requirements.

Take mp3 encoding for instance - the actual programming required to add all the options available in lame is pretty much as simple as this:

if(mode == stereo) encodeString = encodeString + s
if(mode == joint stereo) encodeString = encodeString + j

Obviously it's slightly more than that, but it's basically that simple and totally removes the need for programs other than MJ. It makes MJ an 'encoding app'.

Anyway, even that point is slightly off the topic :)

I was just refering to features in general that the competition might have that MJ doesn't :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2003, 10:32:09 am »

Drop them an email, they are just as responsive as J River are when it comes to fixes, features, enhancements, etc.

When I first saw their 1.6 GUI I went green with jealousy ... I want to design like that.

I know i have talked to him a few times.

one of them was to make a seprate project, and that was to allow his mpeg Checker to be used by programmers in there own projects.

I would buy it in a snap and thats weally all i use Helium2 for.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up