INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRSS Mixing - 7.1 > 5.1 Broken W "Extra Channels"  (Read 698 times)

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
JRSS Mixing - 7.1 > 5.1 Broken W "Extra Channels"
« on: October 31, 2022, 04:14:04 pm »

Hey,

Just noticed a bug in the latest MC for Windows. When trying to output to a 5.1 setup (needing an extra 2 channels), JRSS should work fine with "Extra Channels". However by activating a pair of extra channels, downmixing doesn't occur. Now what shows up is "Convert From 7.1 Channels To 7.1 Channels" instead of 7.1 to 5.1. Using test material, it is very obvious that 2 of the channels (in this case 5 and 6) are not mixed into the rear channels that actually exist.

Any idea how I can work around this other than just using another downmixer? (I do like Waves but I've been trying to simplify).

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRSS Mixing - 7.1 > 5.1 Broken W "Extra Channels"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 12:28:11 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103299.0 describes how 7.1->5.1 is meant to work, a quick test shows there are 2 silent channels output as expected though I haven't checked what is actually output. Do you have such a test? or can clarify how you're determining that it's not working as per the above?

The audio path comment is definitely a bug though.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 12:52:51 pm »

I can reproduce an issue with this, and what it comes down to is .. where do you expect the silent channels to be? I suppose at the end, right? Normal 5.1 followed by 2 channels?
For some reason 5.1 with 2 extra channel will actually put the silent channels into the spots where the rear channels should be. Which makes some sense to me as it comes from the history of being "5.1 in 7.1 container", but screws over the mixing, because the mixing wants to mix into the original 5.1 channel.

I guess to retain compatibility with previous setups, I'll replicate the same channel move in the mixer.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

eve

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 01:32:44 pm »

I can reproduce an issue with this, and what it comes down to is .. where do you expect the silent channels to be? I suppose at the end, right? Normal 5.1 followed by 2 channels?
For some reason 5.1 with 2 extra channel will actually put the silent channels into the spots where the rear channels should be. Which makes some sense to me as it comes from the history of being "5.1 in 7.1 container", but screws over the mixing, because the mixing wants to mix into the original 5.1 channel.

I guess to retain compatibility with previous setups, I'll replicate the same channel move in the mixer.

You nailed it. That's exactly what is happening. I do tend to prefer this new system for extra channels. It's significantly more flexible (and futureproof). Perhaps it's prudent to make this 'fix' for 7.1 > 5.1 + Extra Channels, an option? Though I'm not sure if I can think of a situation where you'd have JRSS on, a 5.1 output configuration, and extra channels where you WOULDN'T want 7.1 sources to downmix to 5.1.

My system right now is 5.1 channels but with the L & R duplicated into the last 2 channels of an 8channel output configuration (easier than splitting the balanced connectors, loss free tbh) so I guess I'm affected by this. It's not a major rush but I'd love the option back! A little 'math' in Parametric EQ works, and so do plugins so I'm not particularly fussed. Out of curiosity, if I'm summing 2 channels with the Parametric EQ "Mix Channels" I attenuate each one by -3db right?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 04:30:48 pm »

It should mix properly in this configuration in the next build. It still feels a bit awkward to have the empty channels positioned where they are, but its just legacy now.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

eve

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 05:17:06 pm »

It should mix properly in this configuration in the next build. It still feels a bit awkward to have the empty channels positioned where they are, but its just legacy now.

Agreed. It's a bit of a compromise. I'm used to doing this sort of routing in hardware but I picked up this Topping Dm7, and it doesn't support any kind of routing / channel assignment internally.
It's essentially the only affordable, acceptable quality 8ch D/A on the market that you can actually get in your hands, it's competitors are the Okto which you can't buy now, or the ExaSound units which are significantly more expensive.
I'm actually blown away by the Dm7, got it hooked up yesterday and I've been in awe. I hate to be one of those blabbering audiophiles going on about how changing a piece of gear 'brought tears to my eyes' but the way it renders some passages is just absurdly beautiful, there's almost this 'effortlessness' where even quite hot, or harsh mixes still render without any added distortion in the HF, a place I found some decently high end audio interfaces struggling with. It's really quite clinical and neutral which is exactly what I'm after. I'm not here to have crappy recordings or mixes sound good, I just don't want them to sound any worse than they have to. 

eve

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 05:33:25 pm »

Apparently this got fixed, like 2 weeks ago. 
Will report in tomorrow or the next with results but you guys are solid for fixing this immediately, long before I even bothered checking the changelog.

Thanks for being continually responsive developers <3,

Eve
Pages: [1]   Go Up