INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolby has a technology called MAT  (Read 336 times)

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
Dolby has a technology called MAT
« on: November 19, 2022, 04:05:00 am »

This is an interesting fact that I did not know about.
Is this something JRiver would be able to handle?
"Dolby has a technology called MAT that allows the Atmos metadata to be attached to that decoded LPCM stream"

https://www.avsforum.com/index.php?posts/62118109

""
Both DTS:X and Dolby Atmos are delivered via the codecs proprietary to the two companies; DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus, respectively. You can pass these as bitstreams through to your AVR and decode there, or your player can decode to LPCM and send that to your AVR.

Dolby has a technology called MAT that allows the Atmos metadata to be attached to that decoded LPCM stream (this is how Dolby Atmos on Apple TV hardware works - ATV doesn't output a bitstream, it's LPCM only, but it can still output an Atmos track using MAT). I don't know if DTS has something similar but I don't believe they do - if you are decoding the DTS:X signal to LPCM you are outputting 5.1 or 7.1 only.
""

""
The whole thing with PCM MAT is that the lossy Dolby Digital Plus compressed Atmos stream is decoded back to PCM with all the channels, objects+positional metadata in the Apple device. The same thing happens in a normal receiver or pre-amp given a raw Atmos bitstream (lossy or lossless compressed), it's just that MAT is feeding the processor a pre-digested audio track for the Atmos renderer to deal with.

If you look at the raw form of Dolby Atmos coming out of the Production Suite, it's a series of separate PCM audio tracks (the main beds and the individual sounds listed as objects). Those tracks tagged as objects also have embedded panning/sizing metadata included.
""

Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S
Pages: [1]   Go Up