INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover art resolution discrepancy  (Read 2739 times)

pmessing

• Recent member
Cover art resolution discrepancy
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:27:01 am »

Because my Windows 10 laptop is not adjacent to my stereo system, I am using the DLNA feature of Media Center (23.0.73) to wirelessly send the FLAC files stored on the internal SSD of the laptop to a Windows 10 HTPC connected via USB to my stereo system. I then use JRemote on my Android tablet to "control" the HTPC. Everything works great with one exception: the cover art (as viewed on the LCD monitor connected to the HTPC as well as on JRemote) looks shoddy (pixelated, lacking in clarity, etc.).

Now, all of my cover art has been scanned in by hand (at approximately 1400x1400 resolution) and looks very sharp on the laptop (and on the external monitor I have hooked up to it). So why does it look so much worse on the HTPC and the tablet? One thing I noticed is that when I right-click on a given track and select "View (first file)", the resolution of the artwork associated with that track is 400x400. Is this the maximum resolution for cover art when sending files over the network? If so, why does this same album cover show up at full resolution when viewed in "Images"?

pmessing

• Recent member
Re: Cover art resolution discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:25:25 am »

No one has any thoughts? Is cover art indeed limited to 400x400 using DLNA?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 05:50:13 am »

not sure if it is related, but have you tried to configure the images in tools>options>media network>add or configure DLNA servers?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 02:52:36 pm »

MC, like any other UPNP / DLNA media server, offers art to the Control Point client in three size formats (basically small/medium/large). Some CPs are intelligent enough to take the size that most suits their display format, but some are stupid enough to simply take the first one that they notice. MC offers small/medium/large in that order in its xml, because that is more likely not to crash a stupid CP, and more likely to at least display something. It sounds like your Control Point (presumably also MC) is presumably a stupid CP, since it is selecting the first art size offered by the server. How ironic..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 02:45:42 pm »

MC, like any other UPNP / DLNA media server, offers art to the Control Point client in three size formats (basically small/medium/large). Some CPs are intelligent enough to take the size that most suits their display format, but some are stupid enough to simply take the first one that they notice. MC offers small/medium/large in that order in its xml, because that is more likely not to crash a stupid CP, and more likely to at least display something. It sounds like your Control Point (presumably also MC) is presumably a stupid CP, since it is selecting the first art size offered by the server. How ironic..
Changed this up in builds starting at 23.0.82.
MC will parse the cover art URL's supplied in the DIDL and choose the highest res one as a renderer.
As a server MC now provides JPEG_LRG (within limits), MED, SM and TN sized art in descending size (it was previously in descending size as well but only with SM and TN sized artwork).
There has always been a switch to force 120x120 sized artwork for silly renderers in the Advanced DLNA server options.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 05:53:04 pm »

Hi,
Can someone explain what is meant by DIDL? I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I am experiencing with cover art showing in low resolution when I have decent quality image in the folder where the music is stored and not experiencing the issue when using other tools such as Twonky or MinimServer for streaming.
Cheers,
Vin.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 01:11:27 am »

Bob said above that a change was made in 23.0.82.  You could download it and try it.   Old Versions on the wiki.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 04:47:04 pm »

Thanks. I am using the latest version - would that not have the update made in version 23? I would rather be using the latest and greatest...
Pages: [1]   Go Up