More > Music, Movies, Politics, and Other Cheap Thrills

Charging an EV on a Cross Country Road Trip

<< < (2/11) > >>

JimH:
From recent news articles:

"1% of the cars on the road in the US are EV's"

"From 2018 through 2020, Tesla had about 80% of the EV market. Its share dropped to 71% in 2021 and has continued to decline", said Stephanie Brinley, an S&P associate director.

"Electric vehicles account for roughly only 6% of new car sales in the whole of the country. That number would also be much lower without California since of the ~576,000 EVs sold in the US so far in 2022, over 250,000 were in California."

antenna:

--- Quote from: JimH on December 03, 2022, 09:06:46 pm ---I just returned from a two week drive from Minnesota to the East Coast, including New York State, New York City, Boston, and Maine.  The car was a Mercedes EQS580.  I've had it for six months now, but until two weeks ago, I had only charged it at home.

Aside from seeing some old friends, I wanted to understand how feasible it was to travel charger to charger.  Here's what I learned.

Bring A Book
My "quick" charges were about 40 minutes.  This turned out to be no problem.  You meet other people who are in the same boat, learn from them, find something to eat, and walk a little....
--- End quote ---

So it seems that traveling  via an EV is a bit different.  It seems to be more social, meeting and learning from those you meet on your trip.

Good for folk on vacation with time to spare.

But I suggest that those who need to get to a destination with, ummm... less time to spare, may need an alternative.  I wonder how the rental car industry will step up to resolve that one?

JimH:
It adds some time but it's not terrible. I did 1500 miles in 2 days coming back. Recharging makes a nice break.

antenna:

--- Quote from: JimH on December 05, 2022, 08:38:41 pm ---...Recharging makes a nice break.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's the impression I get.

But when I want to visit my relatives for Christmas, I have a concern whether that "nice break" is imposed upon me, or whether I look forward to it.

In my experience, my current feeling is the former. 

Which, to be honest, is why I still own a gas-based vehicle.

The EV vehicles cannot get me to my Christmas destination without that "nice break" that I do not want.

So, I've been actively looking for EV alternatives to get me to my destination.  Which is why I mentioned how the rental car industry might be handling this, let's  say, business opportunity.  :)

cncb:
They are making some progress on charging (break) time.  Our Hyundai Ioniq 5 is supposed to charge to 80% in just 18 minutes on the 350 kW DC chargers.  I have not tried a long trip yet, but I figure I will be ready for a short break after ~3 hours of driving.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version