INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting by composer with multiple composers  (Read 376 times)

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Sorting by composer with multiple composers
« on: December 11, 2022, 08:37:42 am »

I created a category view that groups albums by composer. The alphabet nav on the top is very handy. I noticed that when a piece is attributed to multiple composers and their names are entered separated by a comma or a slash that logically appears as a new composer. When I replace the separator with a semi-colon they're listed as two distinct composers and the piece appears correctly within each composer's list. However, this puts the composer groups at the beginning of the alphabetical list, so I end up with composers who have been tagged anywhere in a piece with two composers followed by composers who do not appear in a tag that uses a semi-colon. And if I click V in the alphabetical nav (in this case) I am taken to the V in the two-composer list, which appears before almost every other composer because I haven't used the semi-colon to separate composers more than once. I also have a pane view that doesn't suffer from this problem. Composers continue to be listed alphabetically in the pane view.

Manfred

Re: Sorting by composer with multiple composers
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 10:00:30 am »

I did something similar than you:
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

DJLegba

Re: Sorting by composer with multiple composers
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 10:32:10 am »

Yes, if you put a little work into the tagging there's no end of great things you can do with MC. I created a playlist that randomly pulls up about 6 hours of classical music as full works instead of a movement from this and a movement from that. It's limited to works with 8 tracks or fewer so I don't end up with The Well Tempered Clavier or the Goldberg Variations since those have so many tracks there's a strong possibility one of the tracks will be selected. The expand function is the key here, and I was very happy when I found it (and nodup).

-[Genre]=[Cantata],[Christmas],[Opera],[Progressive Rock],[Rock] -[Work]=[] -[WorkAlbum]="Cantata" [WorkTracks]=[1],[2],[3],[4],[5],[6],[7],[8] [Last Played]=>14d -[BoxedSet]=[Ludwig van Beethoven /- Complete Works] ~sort=Random ~expand=WorkAlbum ~t=6h ~nodup=[Name],[Work]

Pages: [1]   Go Up