INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Built in Clip protection  (Read 601 times)

PaperBoat

• Recent member
Built in Clip protection
« on: December 11, 2022, 11:48:12 am »

How to completely disable JRiver built in overflow handling hard limiter/ clip protection? Please help.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Built in Clip protection
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 12:02:56 pm »

set to "flat line overflows" & make sure adaptive volume > peak level normalise is off

PaperBoat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 12:17:59 pm »

set to "flat line overflows" & make sure adaptive volume > peak level normalise is off

Is "flat line overflows" actually a hard limiter?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 12:51:32 pm »

Is "flat line overflows" actually a hard limiter?
What is a hard limiter? Flat line overflow just means "do nothing, let it clip"

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 01:01:42 pm »

Flat line overflows is not a hard limiter in the typical sense.  Its more a simple check, a limit in the programming sense. Any spikes over the maximium will instead be set to the maximum, resulting in a flat line at that point.

If you were to not do that,  you could instead get negative values etc, which would profuce truly awful results
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

PaperBoat

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 01:15:27 pm »

Flat line overflows is not a hard limiter in the typical sense.  Its more a simple check, a limit in the programming sense. Any spikes over the maximium will instead be set to the maximum, resulting in a flat line at that point.

If you were to not do that,  you coulf instead get negative values etc, which would profuce truly awful results

I have a limiter plugin working in my JRiver DSP chain that's far more superior than the JRiver built in Clip protection... That's why I'm looking to disable the JRiver built in overflow handling process entirely...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 01:48:23 pm »

If your limiter works and doesnt let through any values outside of the valid range, then neither mode will ever do anything.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

PaperBoat

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 01:40:21 am »

If your limiter works and doesnt let through any values outside of the valid range, then neither mode will ever do anything.

Yes... My limiter is working fine... Now I need to be sure about that there is no other unnecessary processing working after my DSP chain setup... I'm not asking for "bit perfect" but "bit perfect" after my DSP chain setup... Seems "flat line overflows" is the right option..?

eve

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 03:25:09 pm »

Yes... My limiter is working fine... Now I need to be sure about that there is no other unnecessary processing working after my DSP chain setup... I'm not asking for "bit perfect" but "bit perfect" after my DSP chain setup... Seems "flat line overflows" is the right option..?

This is the correct answer. The terminology sounds 'wrong' but that is how you do it. It's not super comforting in how it's explained but yeah, if you have your OWN limiter running, inside of the DSP Chain correctly, flat line overflows is doing nothing. This is how I have it set up for rendering to an AoIP sink.

P.S, I'd love some insight from the JRiver devs. So how does resampling work? Is it like other software where you need to attenuate the digital signal to prevent clipping caused by resampling overflows?
Pages: [1]   Go Up