INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support streaming UHD to 4k capable clients  (Read 291 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Support streaming UHD to 4k capable clients
« on: January 08, 2023, 03:58:19 am »

As far as I can see, the only way to stream 4k content to an MC client is if the MC client is capable of playing the "original format" because there conversion options max out at 1080p. If so, can this be improved or is there some technical reason why it's not possible to go beyond 1080p?

For me, this particular use case is driven by the use of a linux MC client connected to a windows server, a windows client would just use the "play local file" option to avoid this problem but MC doesn't support this across OSes hence posting to windows board because the feature request/gap is for Windows MC.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Support streaming UHD to 4k capable clients
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 04:11:45 am »

Whats wrong with using "original format" when you are on a local network?
It just streams the original file through HTTP if no direct access is available, this should work with pretty much all files - especially on a low latency local network. Only media consisting of multiple files wouldn't work, but those aren't supported on Linux at this point, even for local files.

We can probably add new 4K encoding presets, but converting 4K files is also going to tax the server quite a bit more, so original file should be favored on local connections.
And we need to work on solving HDR issues with conversions.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 04:17:53 am »

Whats wrong with using "original format" when you are on a local network?
the original format is a BD rip which I assume means this point applies

Only media consisting of multiple files wouldn't work, but those aren't supported on Linux at this point, even for local files.

JRVR being cross platform is a great improvement but unfortunately the limitations around video playback on linux are still a rather severe impediment (for me at least). Is supporting "multiple file" playback a hard thing to implement (aka may never happen) or just something that's not at the top of the list yet?

I probably need to switch this particular client to windows until the situation on linux improves

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 05:25:59 am »

Local playback we can maybe do, but its years of video features that Windows has that need to be caught up to, so its not going to happen over night.

As a work-around, we could force conversion to a common format when playing a BDMV on a client, but that entire process would probably have to improve.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up