INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with flickering / stuttering video playback  (Read 453 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Problem with flickering / stuttering video playback
« on: October 29, 2022, 05:16:27 pm »

Suddenly many of my videos are stuttering or flickering.  It's not the same thing as the skipped frames I asked about earlier this year (at least I don't think it is).  Every few seconds the picture flickers, or zig-zags (as if the TV were bumped sideways and vibrated), or blinks and flickers in-and-out.  I confess I don't really have a way to describe it. 

I first had some trouble with some Warner Brothers cartoons (Road Runner, specifically) and was told that problem (skipped frames) is the result of a mismatch between the source frame rate (30 fps) and the renderer frame rate (24 fps).  The first time I noticed what I'm trying to describe now was with a DVD rip of Blade (movie), and today with DVD rips of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV show).

Video is set to Red October JRVR.  This afternoon I tried checking the hardware acceleration box, but that didn't help.  I haven't tried any of the advanced features yet. 

Can anyone help me solve this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem with flickering / stuttering video playback
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 06:24:15 pm »

Check your cables to make sure they are tightly connected.

Power everything down and back up, including the network.

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 05:15:50 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion.  I tried it, but I still have the problem.  I took some cell phone video.  Is there anyway to post a 3s .mp4 file?  Can I e-mail it somewhere?  It seems like it might be helpful to see the problem rather than try to imagine what I see.

I cut the video down to 3s.  Approximately 1/2 second in you can see an image of Buffy and Willow flicker.  I stepped through the video, it's three frames of video.  About a half-second from the end you can see Giles' elbow stutter, like it's doing a double-take.

A question for Windows geniuses: why is it Windows needs to be shut-down or restarted from time to time?  Does it lose track of its bits?  It seems weird it needs to be reset.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 07:27:30 am »

I have now also tried watching video on my Client computer (Lenovo) via Media Server and have the same problem.  I was curious to know if there was something going on between my Server computer (Dell) and my TV.  But the "flickering" occurs whether I'm using my Dell as a Server via ethernet or my Lenovo as a Client via wi-fi.

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 02:23:44 pm »

This "flickering" problem is happening with movies ripped from DVD now, too.  Is there a setting I can check or change? Some part of MC I can reset?  I hope somebody has an idea of something I can try. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up