INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAME field content  (Read 978 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
NAME field content
« on: January 25, 2023, 12:50:00 pm »

My issue is that I have a FOLDER containing various songs from various sources with the form <filename> . mp3.

However when IMPORT is performed, the track NAME is not the <fikename> . mp3 BUT RATHER track info from the original source?!

Is there (hopefully) a way to define what is actually entered in the fields, in this case NAME?

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: NAME field content
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 04:58:39 pm »

Yes, there is, make use of the 'Apply these tags (optional)' field in 'Media Import'. Add a Custom definition of field 'Name' with a value of the expression 'Filename(,0)'.

The expression gives the filename minus the file extension. See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Path_and_Identifier_Functions#FileName for details of the expression.

EDIT: if you already have the files imported and want to change the 'Name' field then open the 'Tag' for the file(s) and insert '=Filename(,0)' in the 'Name' field.

Note: quotes aren't required around the expression, I've just used them in this post for clarity.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 01:25:20 pm »

Thanks, terrym.  Will give it a try.

FWIW, I was not NOTIFIED of your response despite being opted in to receive all replies?!

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 06:16:37 am »

The '=filename(,0)' worked like a charm and saved me hours editing individual track tags.

Glad you're a Galactic Citizen!  Thanks.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 01:05:45 pm »

OK, have a complication...which I hope I can clearly explain?!

Have a compilation folder with dozens of the same song by different artists where the NAMEs have all been edited to the format SONG [ARTIST]

Some of these tracks are copies of the song from full albums by various artists.

I used your method of 'Apply these tags (optional)' field in 'Media Import' and added a Custom definition of field 'Name' with a value of the expression 'Filename(,0)'. \

HOWEVER, when the compilation folder is imported, the majority of the tracks are named SONG [ARTIST] but the ones that were copied from an artist folder in the LIBRARY to the compilation folder DO NOT show in the compilation.  What does happen is that each of the albums from which the SONG was imported are reopened with the SONG ARTIST] added as a track in the source album with the NAME as SONG [ARTIST] IN ADDITION TO the original track on the album.  In my case, the library now shows the desired compilation with tracks named as desired along with a couple dozen artist albums with an EXTRA track.

Not sure how to fix this IMPORT issue but the only way I could think of to "fix" the library was to do a restore.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 02:31:02 am »

Unfortunately, I am not at all clear what the problem is that you are trying to explain but here goes.

Firstly, restoring from the latest MC backup is always the right thing to do in the event of some tagging/import disaster. Always take a backup before doing any bulk tagging.

Perhaps you could try and give me a more specific example of the problem, using a real album, song and artist and be very specific regarding what the filename is, the Name tag is and what the Album tag is. Take some screenshots if possible, to show more clearly what is happening.
If you are looking at an album view and the files that you have imported and renamed have the same Album tag as an existing album then I think they will show up in that view, but as I said at the beginning, I'm not really clear what you are trying to explain.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 12:48:18 pm »

Hopefully the attached description enhanced with "8 x 10 colored glossies" will better capture the issue?!

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 03:40:53 pm »

Have a look at the imported 'compilation' 'Fever' track tags, what is showing in the 'Album' field? I think you are trying to create a compilation album without specifying that all the tracks are in the same album.
When you do the import from the compilation folder not only do you need to specify the Name tag in your custom tags but also the Album tag which I assume you want to be the folder name.

So, when doing the import from your compilation folder specify in the custom tags:
Album=FileFolder()
Name=Filename(,0)
EDIT:
Album Artist=Various artists

As before if you want to modify the existing imported files use '=FileFolder()' in the Album tag field of the imported compilation files. You can find the complilation folder using the Files view from the Tree.

You will of course now have a further complication, Track numbers. These will not be sequential but rather the track number of the original album you copied the file from (and probably quite a few duplicate track numbers).
To fix this, you can either manually renumber the tracks to give you the order you desire or if you are not bothered about the track number ordering just select all the files and use '=Counter()' in the 'Track #' tag field.
Using custom tag Track # = Counter() during import may also work but I've never tried it.

EDIT: You will also probably want to set the tag 'Album Artist' to 'Various artists'

Hope I've understood your requirement this time and the above works for you.

You may want to create another post titled something like 'What is the best way to create a compilation album from my existing library files' as other folks may have some clever ways of doing this (it is not something I ever do). You can reference this post for context.

Terry

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 01:58:33 pm »

Terry,
Happy to report that doing the special tags allowed me to IMPORT the compilation folder without issue!   ;D

FWIW, over the years I have collected over 100 interpretations of "FEVER"

Per your suggestion, I DID create a compilation thread to see how the literati might suggest doing the IMPORT.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 05:16:31 pm »

Hi Frank.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 05:20:09 pm »

Hi to you as well.

Looks like VPN was likely culprit!  Not sure if there is a way to "unblock" Media Center?
Pages: [1]   Go Up