INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Total Newbie TV question.  (Read 428 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Total Newbie TV question.
« on: January 26, 2023, 02:22:19 pm »

I haven't had any setup for watching regular TV for about 20 years now, but i got an offer from my ISP where TV and internet is cheaper than just TV, it comes with a decoder box that is directly connected to the internet, and states that it uses "IPTV", can MC be used to watch these kind of broadcasts? Do i need any additional hardware? I have an embarrassingly low knowledge on how TV is setup technically on the consumer side in this day and age and have never even interacted with the TV features of MC.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
Re: Total Newbie TV question.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 03:32:21 pm »

USA? or country? Name of provider? Does the decoder box have a remote control and an hdmi port to connect to the tv? Is it a DVR? Did the "decoder box" come with a remote? or brand and model number of the "decoder box"?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 12:47:39 am »

USA? or country? Name of provider? Does the decoder box have a remote control and an hdmi port to connect to the tv? Is it a DVR? Did the "decoder box" come with a remote? or brand and model number of the "decoder box"?

It is in norway, the provider is called "telenor", it has a remote and a hdmi out. I think it is a DVR, it seems to have a hard drive inside of it. The box itself is just called "T-we box 2", but that is just the branding from the provider, it has some markings on it from a manufacturer called "Advanced Digital Broadcast SA"

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 08:30:58 am »

It may be possible without additional hardware, depending on the exact nature of the IPTV service provided.

MC supports IPTV channels if the provider provides an m3u file that list all channels and their URLs.  Since it is a subscription, they may require user authentication.  If so, the authentication need to be in the URLs themselves as we have not implemented any separate authentication methods.  The streaming should be in HLS or RTSP.

The alternative method requires a video capture device.  The set-top-box provided by your ISP usually has SVideo, Composite, or HDMI outputs.  You need to get a video capture card/box that will take the corresponding method for input.  Then you can set up the channels as STB (set-top-box) channels.  You also need an IR blaster device to emit IR signals to your STB, when you try to change channels in MC.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 03:57:49 pm »

It may be possible without additional hardware, depending on the exact nature of the IPTV service provided.

MC supports IPTV channels if the provider provides an m3u file that list all channels and their URLs.  Since it is a subscription, they may require user authentication.  If so, the authentication need to be in the URLs themselves as we have not implemented any separate authentication methods.  The streaming should be in HLS or RTSP.

The alternative method requires a video capture device.  The set-top-box provided by your ISP usually has SVideo, Composite, or HDMI outputs.  You need to get a video capture card/box that will take the corresponding method for input.  Then you can set up the channels as STB (set-top-box) channels.  You also need an IR blaster device to emit IR signals to your STB, when you try to change channels in MC.

Thanks for the info. I think buying stuff is a bit more than i am willing to invest. The m3u file, that would be something they eventually provide on a website or something like? Not something i need to extract from the decoder or anything?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 07:26:29 pm »

Thanks for the info. I think buying stuff is a bit more than i am willing to invest. The m3u file, that would be something they eventually provide on a website or something like? Not something i need to extract from the decoder or anything?

Ask them whether they can generate an m3u channel list file and let you download securely, or have them email it to you.  If they only intended to serve you with their set-top box, they may not be able or willing to do it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up