INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to know stream flow when using external stream service through DLNA  (Read 633 times)

vcastceo

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi all,
I am JRiver user since it's version 18, it was only installed on PC as standalone music player.
Time passed, now music stream service is major issue, Tidal, Qobuz, Youtube, you can name on it.
I love Tidal and Qobuz for it's Hi-Res music stream ability, and I also use these service with JRiver.
My JRiver is installed on Raspberry Pi 4+ as DLNA server, also it has internal ripped sources(DSF and FLAC).
I use JRmote app on my iPad, it is dedicated controll app for JRiver.
However since JRemote is only can control JRiver and it's internal sources, plus JRiver's stream service only, I use mConnect app as DLNA/UPnP controller which can play Tidal/Qobuz stream through JRiver.
In this part, I am really curious what network flow is on this regards?

I believe it is like this, when I play some music from Qobuz and endpoint is JRiver:
Qobuz -> Music Stream -> Internet Router at Home -> WiFi -> iPad mConnect App -> WiFi -> Internet Router -> LAN -> Raspberry Pi -> JRiver -> USB Output -> DAC

What I am confused is, some people said that stream data is directly goes to JRiver, not come to iPad and send it again to JRiver, as I described. What is correct? Of course, best way to play streaming audio is, stream from service(Tidal, Qobuz) directly goes to JRiver.
mConnect app should only control it's music stream flow from service company to JRiver.
Since there is not to much app which have both DLNA/UPnP playing and Tidal/Qobuz integrated, so mConnect is best way to use it.
Anybody knows what I am asking, please let me know the answer.
Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Need to know stream flow when using external stream service through DLNA
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 03:20:06 am »

The controller tells the renderer what to play.  Then the renderer gets the files directly from the server.

You might also take a look at WDM on our wiki.

vcastceo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 03:38:58 am »

The controller tells the renderer what to play.  Then the renderer then gets the files directly from the server.

You might also take a look at WDM on our wiki.

Oh... You mean, whatever I command JRiver(DLNA Server/Renderer) to play certain music from Qobuz or Tidal, then JRiver get music stream directly from Tidal/Qobuz, right? If so, I don't need any *EXPENSIVE* network trasport! This is what I am confused and need to know!

BTW... WDM is for Windows system, I did check JRiver WIKI page for WDM. It seems does nothing with network stream play...? And mine is Raspbery Pi version....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 05:38:56 am »

If you aren't using WDM, then JRiver won't be able to receive the stream from Tidal, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up