INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging, Crashing  (Read 517 times)

FKatz

• Recent member
Hanging, Crashing
« on: January 29, 2023, 01:05:23 pm »

I have been using JRiver for many years and although I have found its behaviour quirkier than I would like I am now having a problem that is driving me crazy.
My library has about 240,000 songs and I am running it on a PC with an AMD A10-7870K CPU with 16GB Dual Channel DDR RAM. My primary drive is a 500 GB Samsung SSD where my programs are and I have several external drives where my music files are stored.
I am having a problems where the program will hang when I'm doing something as simple as doing a search or browsing through some files and if I press on any key the program will crash. Now it's gotten worse - it will get stuck in the middle of a song and play the same note over and over until I force the program to crash.
Just recently I downloaded a couple of thousand files from YouTube for a project I'm working on and the problem has gotten much worse. The YouTube files are m4a and OPUS format and I'm wondering if that is a factor. I also notice that when I'm running an audio analysis on the YouTube files it will get part way through the analysis and stops. The program itself keeps running but the audio analysis will not complete.
Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on and how I can fix it. I am currently running version 29.0.87 - 64 bit.
Thanks

FKatz

• Recent member
Re: Hanging, Crashing
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 02:14:21 pm »

I should also point out that when the program sticks on a song it's not necessarily one of the YouTube songs.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 02:46:42 pm »

YouTube files may be encrypted.

Configure Windows Defender.

The repeating note could be a DAC problem.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 03:00:02 am »

Could be that one of the external drive is not available when MC for whatever reason want's to access file in it (like just switching tab...). That will cause MC hanging up to minute or so.

I successfully (though external tools is needed) workaround this with my network file storage by not using drive letter for the nas in the MC database and also moving ALL the album covers which are used as thumbnail for files to local ssd. I was almost ready to give up using MC as my video server is mostly sleeping and browsing through collection in standard view would hang MC and also web browser for a minute or two all the time.

Of course your problem could be something different than MC trying to access files which doesn't exist at that moment

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 05:28:09 am »

It can also be caused by one or more corrupt files. Try disabling Auto Import to see if the issue goes away, or enable Logging and check if it crashes right after accessing a specific file.

FKatz

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 11:24:42 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.
There was mention that the problem with the program sticking on one note might be an audio DAC problem. I have an Audioquest Dragonfly attached to one of my USB ports - is there a way of checking to see if that is causing the problem?
It's certainly conceivable that one or more of the files downloaded from YouTube is corrupt - there seems to be software out there that will scan for corrupt mp3 but these files are m4a and OPUS formats - does anyone know if there is any kind of scanner for these files? I haven't had a chance to play all the downloaded files yet but I haven't had any problem with the ones I have tried to play.
I'll try unchecking "auto import in background" and see if that helps.
Any additional suggestions would be welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up