INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Further suggestion for sticky views!  (Read 812 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Further suggestion for sticky views!
« on: February 28, 2003, 02:18:53 am »

This is great and on my WXP works very well! Thank you!

But, I use a lot of extra database fields for classical music (composer, orchestra, conductor, movement, soloists etc.) and other database fields for images (specifically for artworks like galleries, paintstyle etc.). And I also don't use quite a number of fields such as ratings etc.

But, when I select properties I see them all and that's a lot! I would like the sticky view extended to the properties panel. When I hide fields in the view panel, they should also hide in the properties panel.

And also the sorting order should be taken over to the properties panel.

My general properties now look like this (too many non related fields and badly sorted!):

Album (used for collections in artwork)
Artist (used for music artist, but also for painters)
Choir (classical music)
Comment
Composer (classical music)
Conductor (classical music)
Gallery (artwork)
Genre (genre in music and images or artwork have totally different meanings)
Movement (use this field right now for classical music and for artwork, which is not ideal)
Name
Opus (classical music)
Orchestra (classical music)
PaintStyle (artwork)
Ratings (not used)
Soloist (classical music)
Track # (music only)
Year (different meaning in music and artwork)

I would prefer to see only those fields related to classical music in the proper sort order and only those fields related to artworks when selecting the artworks group.

Probably the best way to define which fields to see would bee when creating a new View Scheme Group in Media Library. I would create a new View Scheme Group "Artwork" displaying only the fields Artist, Name, Gallery, Movement, Genre, PaintStyle

Also: The drop down lists in the properties fields should display only the values according to the selected media type (or even better according to the selected View Scheme group). If I have to select an artist in the music world, I don't want to see painters such as Picasso, Monet, Cézanne, Renoir etc. and vice versa.

I feel the "New View Scheme Group" in Media Library could be used more extensively to properly define how you want your database views set up properly.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
Re: Further suggestion for sticky views!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 02:15:56 am »

I'll second this motion.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 07:09:21 am »

I agree, it's not ideal.  An option like "[X] Only show display fields" or something would be nice.

However, this change (along with some other slated properties improvements) may have to wait for MC 10.

For now, in-place editing isn't too bad to use.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 09:08:31 am »

Matt - can we get the ability to add new groups and to re-order the items in the properties panel?? Preferably by dragging and dropping them up and down.

I personally would want the most commonly used ones (name) at the top instead of it just being alphabetically sorted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up