INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Mini Headless Setup  (Read 994 times)

PsyDAn

Mac Mini Headless Setup
« on: October 13, 2022, 02:12:18 pm »

I have a 2014 Mac Mini going to a Schiit DAC > amp > speakers. I want to control this totally wirelessly, so using an iPad (2017) rather that keyboard & monitor. I want the Mac Mini tucked away with my other hi-fi stuff, then an iPad across the room controlling everything. I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse, but I'd rather not have to use those all the time.

The iPad and Mac Mini are too old to use sidecar. I tried Team Viewer, but it looks terrible.

I'm seeing the Luna Display dongle for $120 or these $10 HDMI headless dongles on Amazon. Those $10 dongles look like they're meant more for secondary displays, so I'm not sure that would work, I think that still needs a remote desktop app. I also wonder why the Luna Display is $120 vs $10 HDMI dongle.

HaWi

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mac Mini Headless Setup
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 10:27:09 am »

I have a 2014 Mac Mini going to a Schiit DAC > amp > speakers. I want to control this totally wirelessly, so using an iPad (2017) rather that keyboard & monitor. I want the Mac Mini tucked away with my other hi-fi stuff, then an iPad across the room controlling everything. I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse, but I'd rather not have to use those all the time.

The iPad and Mac Mini are too old to use sidecar. I tried Team Viewer, but it looks terrible.

I'm seeing the Luna Display dongle for $120 or these $10 HDMI headless dongles on Amazon. Those $10 dongles look like they're meant more for secondary displays, so I'm not sure that would work, I think that still needs a remote desktop app. I also wonder why the Luna Display is $120 vs $10 HDMI dongle.
I am not an expert but I use an old MacBook Pro headless that I access from an iMac and an iPad. I use the Screen Sharing app but you can also use VNC if you prefer that. For VNC, I use Real VNC (in my case to access a Raspberry Pi) which works perfectly for me. On the MacBook I also run Amphetamine to ensure that it doesn't "fall asleep" when I close the screen.
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.53 64 bit): 2740
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.52 64 bit): 3176
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.5 | JRMark (32.0.52 64 bit): 9025
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.53 64 bit): 1393
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

retiredteacherguy

• World Citizen
Re: Mac Mini Headless Setup
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 05:39:02 pm »

I'm getting used to JRemote and it is great for controlling MC on my Mac mini. When I need to “get at” the mini, my VNC app of choice is Buddy Remote because not only is it great for VNC, but you can adapt various remotes you may already own to work as a great handheld remote for MC. I have the Harmony Ultimate and I’m able to easily set up an activity that starts my components and then allows me to control MC.

My usual process from the living room is using JRemote to fire up whatever I want to listen to, and then using the Harmony remote from there to skip, pause, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up