INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Rating accessibility  (Read 1438 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Request: Rating accessibility
« on: February 25, 2003, 12:30:19 pm »

Right now you can change the rating with the following methods:
1. Select the file, go to properties and change rating in the dropdown
2. Scroll to rating in the detailed view and click once, wait, click again and enter a numeric value
3. Right-click on the file, send to - rating

The reason I bring this up is that everyone of these methods has their backdraws...
1. If you want to change ratings alot, this one is the easiest, but you have this big properties pane in the way, which means that you can't see all the fields in the detailed list that you wish
2. This way is too slow and cumbersome (scrolling to the right position and click-click). Mistakes like accidentally double-click is too easy to make
3. Too hidden. Moving the Rating item out of Send To directly within the main list of thing to do would be great

I would prefer the 3 in this list...it would make rating soooo much more convenient..

What do you think?
/Martin, as always grateful for your lovely product!

nila

Re: Request: Rating accessibility
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 02:03:25 pm »

I agree, that's where it is in all other jukeboxes I've ever used.

mconnell

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 11:31:02 am »

This sounds like a god idea.

Also, it would be far easier to view these ratings if they were displayed visually with a graphic instead of text, like WMP uses stars. Comparing ratings in a long list of songs is very difficult with textual numbers. I know you can sort on the column, but a visual indication would be far better.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 12:21:19 pm »

You can also set the Double-Click Behaviour to 'Current sent to item' (my default). and once you've choosen a rating level just dble click on the song to rate to that level.

----
Listening to: 'The Song is Over' from 'Who's Next' by 'The Who' on Media Center 9.0
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 12:32:22 pm »

Hm.. can someone give an explanation on WHY you "send" the song to a rating? It somewhere feels like a typical programmer's mind thinking this up ;)

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 12:48:44 pm »

Not a programmer here, well, not quite !

Let's imagine five big baskets with big numbers from 1 to 5. By default (after ripping) I put all my songs in the basket numbered '3', then in accordance to my liking I SEND some in the '4' basket, some others in the '2' basket and the best of my alltime favourites in the '5' basket. We could say 'throw to' but 'send to' is more elegant, don't you think ? ;)

and I like sending with a dble click ...

C.

-----
Listening to: 'Shakey Ground' from 'The Psychotic Friends Nuttwerk' by 'Fishbone' on Media Center 9.0
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Marty3d

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 12:24:01 pm »

Quite some imagination there CMagic!

Well...let's assume this: Take a bunch of ice skaters doing figure skating and a jury. You won't send the skaters to boxes numbered 1-10, but the jury RATES the skaters instead by giving them a score :)

To be more serious, I actually rates songs as I hear them, not by any evil scheme :)

/Martin

nila

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2003, 04:40:05 pm »

ESPECIALLY in mini-me mode.

You dont want to be tagging or renaming or doing any complex operating on songs in this mode as you cant see the track info.

You do usually however want to be rating a song as you usually just put it in mini-me mode to play the songs and so rating them as you listen to them is a totally normal expected thing to do.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2003, 11:11:24 pm »

i'd like to see a system emulating the WMP graphic star ratings. easy visual and one-click.
Pages: [1]   Go Up