INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio dropouts minutes apart with 4K MKV's on JRVR  (Read 887 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Audio dropouts minutes apart with 4K MKV's on JRVR
« on: March 07, 2023, 02:27:49 am »

PC setup:
Supermicro X11-SPL-F with Intel Xeon Silver 4210 2.2 GHz/10 cores, 2 x 32 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 MHz and Nvidia GeForce 1050. Normally used as a server, reboots into second partition with Windows 10, fully updated.

HDMI/audio/video setup: Dr. HDMI 4K, Yamaha RX-A3070, JVC DLA-X500 (AKA JVC DLA-RS49U in the US)

Problem: Every few minutes (I haven't timed it, but I'd guess around 3-4) the audio drops out for a second or so on bitstreaming of DD or DTS-HD with all 4K MKV's tried so far, no such problem detected so far on 1080p MKV's. It doesn't matter if I'm using the server OS Windows Server 2022 or consumer Windows 10. Deactivating VideoClock did not matter. Changing from Red October JRVR to Red October madVR made the problem disappear totally.

This may of course be a total freak occurence on my system only, and I'm quite satisfied with madVR, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

eve

Re: Audio dropouts minutes apart with 4K MKV's on JRVR
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 06:30:44 am »

PC setup:
Supermicro X11-SPL-F with Intel Xeon Silver 4210 2.2 GHz/10 cores, 2 x 32 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 MHz and Nvidia GeForce 1050. Normally used as a server, reboots into second partition with Windows 10, fully updated.

HDMI/audio/video setup: Dr. HDMI 4K, Yamaha RX-A3070, JVC DLA-X500 (AKA JVC DLA-RS49U in the US)

Problem: Every few minutes (I haven't timed it, but I'd guess around 3-4) the audio drops out for a second or so on bitstreaming of DD or DTS-HD with all 4K MKV's tried so far, no such problem detected so far on 1080p MKV's. It doesn't matter if I'm using the server OS Windows Server 2022 or consumer Windows 10. Deactivating VideoClock did not matter. Changing from Red October JRVR to Red October madVR made the problem disappear totally.

This may of course be a total freak occurence on my system only, and I'm quite satisfied with madVR, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Very odd. Can you try not bitstreaming (so decoding your audio) out of curiosity?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 08:04:38 am »

Oh, "Very Odd" is almost my middle name... My setups are very rarely standard! And yes, sure. I can try. Maybe not today. I'll get back to this on Saturday evening at the latest.

eve

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 08:31:51 am »

Oh, "Very Odd" is almost my middle name... My setups are very rarely standard! And yes, sure. I can try. Maybe not today. I'll get back to this on Saturday evening at the latest.
I'd say try pulling the Dr. HDMI but honestly, the HDFury stuff is fantastic and should not be giving you problems (again if anything, it fixes them).
It is worth a shot trying to go direct into your Yamaha (you can even just ignore the Projector entirely).

I assume you've updated the GPU driver with the driver from Nvidia (not the one Windows will automatically install) ?

I'm leaning towards something weird with JRVR and your 1050.

Interesting thought, some of those lower clocked Xeons have given me strange perf in the past, is it possible the H265 decode is happening in software on the Xeon and just 'barely' able to do it? Meaning that if something else needs the processor briefly it all goes out of whack?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 02:15:37 pm »

The best bet is to turn on logging (Help --> logging) start playback, stop after the issue and post the log here (zip it up).
JRiver CEO Elect

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 02:25:53 am »

Eve, I can't imagine it's hardware related when only going from Red October JRVR, which is marked (recommended), to Red October madVR, which is marked (requires fast computer) makes it disappear completely. Or is JRVR more straining on the PC? As for CPU, that's not it. Playback (at the same time as I'm running six VM's in VMWare) takes around 6-12 % in madVR and 4-9 in JRVR. Also the Dr. HDMI has never given me any problems before. I'm using that because sometimes (maybe once every few months or so) something that's probably in the power to the cabin affects the HDMI over cable run to the projector, so it has a video dropout for a couple of seconds. I have had this since I set up the system, but with the Dr. HDMI it doesn't affect the output from the PC. Without the Dr. HDMI the PC will drop out of 3D on 3D movies, and I have to restart the movie.

The driver on Windows Server 2022 is the latest Nvidia driver, while on Windows 10 I'm using 425.31, which is the last driver that supports stereoscopic 3D (I have glasses for the JVC projector). The symptomes are exactly the same on both OS's.

jmone, I'll try that when I get the chance to check this out, probably Friday.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 03:42:59 am »

There is also the JRVR specific frame time logging, which would tell us if any of the clocks are drifting or something else might be the reason.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

eve

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 08:24:35 am »

Eve, I can't imagine it's hardware related when only going from Red October JRVR, which is marked (recommended), to Red October madVR, which is marked (requires fast computer) makes it disappear completely. Or is JRVR more straining on the PC? As for CPU, that's not it. Playback (at the same time as I'm running six VM's in VMWare) takes around 6-12 % in madVR and 4-9 in JRVR. Also the Dr. HDMI has never given me any problems before. I'm using that because sometimes (maybe once every few months or so) something that's probably in the power to the cabin affects the HDMI over cable run to the projector, so it has a video dropout for a couple of seconds. I have had this since I set up the system, but with the Dr. HDMI it doesn't affect the output from the PC. Without the Dr. HDMI the PC will drop out of 3D on 3D movies, and I have to restart the movie.

The driver on Windows Server 2022 is the latest Nvidia driver, while on Windows 10 I'm using 425.31, which is the last driver that supports stereoscopic 3D (I have glasses for the JVC projector). The symptomes are exactly the same on both OS's.

jmone, I'll try that when I get the chance to check this out, probably Friday.

I'm just trying to remove variables here lol

JRVR should not be more straining, but again, since it seems to be a 'strange' issue, it could be from any number of sources / conflicts.

Have you thought about killing the VMWare stuff while you're trying to work this out?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 01:21:59 pm »

The weekend suddenly turned from relaxing to a lot of work. The glamorous life of a freelancer... But now I got a chance to do it, and Khaleesi (our current mastiff) is rather annoyed and bored because I went through the same part of the same MKV over and over again... First of all, I shut down all VM's. That did not change anything. I also connected the HDMI directly to the Yamaha receiver, without the DR. HDMI 2, and I used a Samsung TV set instead of the projector (without the tv on I could not lock the refresh rate to 24 fps, which the MKV file was).

The first two attempts had dropouts on 54 seconds (stopped that one there) and 1:23 and 11:20 (stopped after that second dropout).

The third CSV has a dropout at 2.47, where I stopped it. The difference is that I did that one in windowed mode, not full screen.

The two last were non-bitstreaming in stereo and then 7.1 (which my Yamaha interpreted as 7.2.4, for some reason). No dropouts, but also not sounding as good as the Yamaha decoding the bitstream. I would probably have been annoyed if it did, because then I could have just bought a few cheap amps instead of one costing around $3000 in Norway when I bought it. ;)

I have attached the frame logs, marked with where the dropouts were.

And the main log, with the name of the file removed. I don't believe my external IP is shown anywhere there, right? Please let me know if I'm telling any big secrets in the file... The internal IP isn't really that interesting. The calls from 192.168.1.200 every few seconds is Girder on my automation VM (I did this with the VM's up and running again) checking what's playing to post that on my internal automation web page, but that's been running for almost a decade now. I stopped this playback right after a dropout too.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 05:17:24 pm »

The frame log indicates you are getting a frame repeat every 1000 frames or so, or ~40 seconds. I assume the screen is at 24 Hz, not 23.976?

That would account for the difference, and while video can cope with that by simply repeating a frame every 40 seconds, I assume this is the cause for your audio dropping out. Although I'm not quite certain why. I would think the audio should be independent of that.. but alas here we are?

What I would suggest is seeing if you can swap to 23.976 Hz (or 23 as windows calls it). I wonder if madVR maybe does that for you, it has lots of such little hacks. You could check that in the madVR OSD, maybe? That would at least explain why it works.
Otherwise I would not really know why the video rendering would even remotely affect the audio.

Interestingly, the main MC log indicates that the audio is trying to adjust timestamps, but the video renderer sees no jump in timestamps. Not that I found anyway.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 07:06:08 am »

Hendrik, adjusting it to 23 (I tried to create a custom resolution for 23.976 Hz, and it went straight to 23, as you say, and that did not change anything. I still had to use decoding and not bitstreaming to avoid the dropouts.

Another thing, which has stumped me for long, is that madVR will mess up the colors in certain MKV's, but not if they are coded in HDR. Do you have any idea what that is?
Pages: [1]   Go Up