INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback Method  (Read 414 times)

PaperBoat

• Recent member
Playback Method
« on: March 15, 2023, 04:47:01 am »

"JRiver audio engine (using input plug-in)" what does it mean and what is the difference between "JRiver audio engine (using input plug-in)", "JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter)" and "JRiver audio engine (using FFmpeg)"?

Please help.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Playback Method
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 06:04:14 pm »

What it says on the can.

JRiver audio engine is the built-in audio renderer of MC which interfaces with audio device drivers on a system.

An input plug-in is code to playback a specific file format (such as flac or mp3), input plug-ins are dll format files.

Microsoft® DirectShow® is an architecture for streaming media on the Microsoft Windows® platform. DirectShow provides for high-quality capture and playback of multimedia streams. An example of a DirectShow filter on MC is LAV filters.

FFmpeg is a free and open-source software project consisting of a suite of libraries and programs for handling video, audio, and other multimedia files and streams.

All the above can be used to decode specific audio and video formats as defined in Tools>Options>File Type

The default for file associations in MC is 'Automatic', I strongly recommend you leave it that way.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

PaperBoat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 01:11:38 am »

An input plug-in is code to playback a specific file format (such as flac or mp3), input plug-ins are dll format files.
Does this mean input plugins are "Native"? Decoder dlls are built-in JRiver?

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 02:33:12 pm »

Yes
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome
Pages: [1]   Go Up