INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JRVR Video Renderer  (Read 30018 times)

afss_br

• Recent member
Re: Video Plans for Media Center 31
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2023, 11:40:09 am »

I would like to echo some of the comments I have seen on this thread, which have stated that Dynamic Tone Mapping on JRVR MC31 is just amazingly good!!! Up to MC30, I have been using the last free version of madVR (113 ?), but JRVR in MC31 has surpassed the performance of that madVR version, and I have decided to use it all the time now ! Outstanding job, JRiver team !!!

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2023, 02:39:58 pm »

I would like to echo some of the comments I have seen on this thread, which have stated that Dynamic Tone Mapping on JRVR MC31 is just amazingly good!!! Up to MC30, I have been using the last free version of madVR (113 ?), but JRVR in MC31 has surpassed the performance of that madVR version, and I have decided to use it all the time now ! Outstanding job, JRiver team !!!
Great to read another very happy user of JRVR MC31, its so good to have finished using the dead 113 madvr!

theriverlethe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2023, 03:09:38 pm »

I believe JRVR is heavily based on libplacebo. Hopefully, JRiver contributes to the project. In what way is the DTM improved vs JRiver 30 and MadVR 113?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2023, 04:28:52 pm »

I believe JRVR is heavily based on libplacebo. Hopefully, JRiver contributes to the project.

Yes, Hendrik contributes to the project - https://code.videolan.org/videolan/libplacebo/-/project_members
JRiver CEO Elect

murray

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2023, 04:37:45 pm »

I'm adding black bar and aspect ratio options to JRVR currently, and I wanted to get some feedback if this covers everything sensible for usual setups.

Basically this is what I'm thinking right now, on a per-output basis in JRVR.

- Enable Black Bar Cropping
- Crop to [Automatic] (using the metadata), and [a list of common aspect ratios] (similar to whats available today in the context menu)

- Aspect Ratio Mode: Preserve, Stretch, Crop. Existing options as a per-output default. (moved from Video -> Aspect Ratio mode into per-output settings)

- Aspect Ratio adjustment, eg. a factor to adjust the aspect ratio by. Might have some presets and an input for a scale factor. This would be used for anamorphic lenses (or older screens with non-square pixels).
(this option was previously available in Video -> Aspect Ratio correction, this is moving it and making it per-output when using JRVR)

Advanced:
- Vertical Image Shift, Shift image to the top or bottom, rather then centered.

These are essentially all existing settings, streamlined into per-output settings in JRVR, and of course making use of automatic black bar cropping based on the metadata we're gathering now.
Thank you Hendrik for all the new features you are adding to JRVR, its much appreciated.
I would love to stop using my JVC NZ9 projector for my anamorphic stretch as the new model blanks on and off when I activate stretch so it isn’t pleasant. The previous model NX9 didn’t exhibit this blanking iussue and since I’m an X cinema projectionist I’m a bit of a presentation freak!

My only concern is would I be able to activate the JRVR stretch manually ON & OFF as I don’t want it activating automatically by itself? If it was only an automatic system I wouldn’t use it. For many it wouldn’t matter as most don’t have incorporated automated black side masking and a Cineslide for the “A” lens.

Please let me explain …

I use the playlist feature within JRiver which is a wonderful feature BTW,  I make up an assortment of 3 to 4 trailers with different ratios > main feature…. Sometimes I prefer to show an odd scope trailer in 16:9 or 1.85 as many cinemas do before the main feature starts which might be scope. After the pre show the masking opens up to reveal the ScopE widescreen of the main feature, thereby adding impact.

I have many functions built into one button press for scope, Cineslide that moves the “A” lens in and out, black automated 4 stop masking for 4:3, 16:9, 1.85 and 2.35 scope, “A” stretch in the proj. That one button press changing from 16:9 to scope has all the “other” functions timed within mllliseconds of each other takes approx. 2 seconds and has impact!

I think for it to work for me it would need to be basically ON or OFF stretch, that I could build into Command Fusion 2.35 button. All I would need to do is remove the proj stretch from the 2.35 button and replace it with JRVR ON stretch, all the other buttons 4:3, 16:9 and 1.85 I would add JRVR OFF stretch. A keystroke assigned to ON and OFF would be all that’s required for me to use the new feature.

Im happy to offer any testing if you are in agreeance to a manual A stretch ON/Off function.
So in a nutshell to keep everyone happy, I suggest a manual way to operate the A stretch ON/OFF and maybe an automated way for those that don’t use Cineslides and automated black masking with multiple raitios.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2023, 04:45:28 pm »

some of the existing options have MCC commands to operate them, some don't (partly because they are not live playback options). If all of these move into the playback space then it would be good to get them accessible via MCC (and hence MCWS).

while we're on the wishlist :) it would also be nice to get access to that information in an easier to read format, currently you have to parse the internal settings format to tell what the active aspect ratio is.

e.g. determining if it's 2.4 mode requires parsing something like this (1:1)(11:AspectRatio)(35:(1:4)(1:0)(1:0)(6:327692)(1:1)(1:0))

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2023, 04:56:13 pm »

I'm glad you can parse it!  I've always just copied it blindly from one entry to another in the DB!
JRiver CEO Elect

theriverlethe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2023, 08:14:37 am »

I believe JRVR is heavily based on libplacebo. Hopefully, JRiver contributes to the project. In what way is the DTM improved vs JRiver 30 and MadVR 113?

Good to hear, thanks! The MadVR situation is obviously bad.

afss_br

• Recent member
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2023, 03:55:29 pm »

I'm adding black bar and aspect ratio options to JRVR currently, and I wanted to get some feedback if this covers everything sensible for usual setups.

- Enable Black Bar Cropping
- Crop to [Automatic] (using the metadata), and [a list of common aspect ratios] (similar to whats available today in the context menu)

- Aspect Ratio Mode: Preserve, Stretch, Crop. Existing options as a per-output default. (moved from Video -> Aspect Ratio mode into per-output settings)

- Aspect Ratio adjustment, eg. a factor to adjust the aspect ratio by. Might have some presets and an input for a scale factor. This would be used for anamorphic lenses (or older screens with non-square pixels).
(this option was previously available in Video -> Aspect Ratio correction, this is moving it and making it per-output when using JRVR)

Advanced:
- Vertical Image Shift, Shift image to the top or bottom, rather then centered.

These are essentially all existing settings, streamlined into per-output settings in JRVR, and of course making use of automatic black bar cropping based on the metadata we're gathering now.

Hello Hendrick, are you considering something like Non Linear stretching for us to have the option to fill up our screens, regardless of the original aspect ratio ?

murray

« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2023, 03:58:29 pm »

Hello Hendrick, are you considering something like Non Linear stretching for us to have the option to fill up our screens, regardless of the original aspect ratio ?
This is certainly something that I wouldnt use, but I do think it would be a HUGE selling point to attract many new customers to JR as so many keep asking for it on the proj forums.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2023, 06:22:09 am »

Non-Linear Stretching is not something we are currently looking into, sorry.
Maybe thats something custom shaders can do for you though, once we implement those.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2023, 10:35:57 am »

some of the existing options have MCC commands to operate them, some don't (partly because they are not live playback options). If all of these move into the playback space then it would be good to get them accessible via MCC (and hence MCWS).

How about a MCC to pin a defined JRVR profile to be active, disregarding all selection rules? (If there even are any)

I'm not particularly sold on the idea of handling every option in 5 different ways.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2023, 11:33:23 am »

How about a MCC to pin a defined JRVR profile to be active, disregarding all selection rules? (If there even are any)

I'm not particularly sold on the idea of handling every option in 5 different ways.
For me, this would be fine (though I hope to rely 100% on automatically switching)

It would be great if the active profile can also be added as a field to MCWS/v1/Playback/Info?Zone=xx

audioriver

Re: JRVR Video Plans for Media Center 31
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2023, 10:31:48 am »

Request: allow external .sup subtitles.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2023, 05:51:20 pm »

Any plans for IVTC?  I really hate NTSC bodges, but was looking at one of Murray's problematic movies (Oklahoma!) and the processing of this 60i BD Encode (remuxed to MKV) is tough to do without massive frame drops.  I may get him to post a link to a 10min sample if you are interested.  The other option is to post process the video stream.

The odd thing in this testing is deinterlacing seems very expensive (YADIF worst, then D3D) but the OSD stats seems weird at times.  I can get constant dropped frames when MAX render time is reported as around 10ms when using D3D, so I'm not sure the stats takes the HW Deinterlacing into account, and at other times the MAX render times can jump to over 30+ms and not drop frames. 

The next odd thing is when in 59.94hz mode, the reported VSync wanders all over the place, which I don't think helps.  I don't see this on 23.976 or 50hz.

Oklahoma is an oddity, as it was originally shot at 30 FPS.  The BD is 59.94 FPS interlaced (or more properly PsF or progressive sequential frame).  There is NO telecine applied to this title, as each frame on the BD alternates fields to recreate the 29.97 FPS original frame. 

I have had no trouble playing this title on Zoom Player, I'll give it a run tonight on JRiver 31 beta (as soon as I download it).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2023, 06:03:11 pm »

Thanks - figured it all out we remuxed it back to the real 30fps.  It is a very good transfer (once you get it out of 59.94i) and plays great in JRVR now.  Not my cup of tea, but the quality of this 70mm 30fps transfer is top notch.  Shows what could be done even "back in the day".
JRiver CEO Elect

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2023, 06:06:44 pm »

Thank you, thank you thank you etc. etc. etc.

Please make sure that all A.R presets are customizable, both in size (vertical & horizontal) and in position.  Please provide at least 10 customizable presets. 
Please take into account that 1.77:, 1.85:1 and 2.40:1 are not the only offered ARs.

I personally have commercially released media in the following ARs: 

1.77:1
1.85:1
2.00:1
2.20:1
2.35:1
2.40:1
2.55:1
2.76:1
2.85:1

Finally a compelling reason to make JRiver my preferred player.

Been playing with MPV recently, setting up custom AR's:

Shift+F1    set video-scale-x .7;   set video-scale-y 1.0   #menu: Aspect Ratio > 1.77:1
Shift+F2    set video-scale-x .73;  set video-scale-y 1.031 #menu: Aspect Ratio > 1.85:1
Shift+F3    set video-scale-x .79;  set video-scale-y 1.13  #menu: Aspect Ratio > 2.00:1
Shift+F4    set video-scale-x .86;  set video-scale-y 1.24  #menu: Aspect Ratio > 2.20:1
Shift+F5    set video-scale-x .92;  set video-scale-y 1.35  #menu: Aspect Ratio > 2.40:1
Shift+F6    set video-scale-x .96;  set video-scale-y 1.42  #menu: Aspect Ratio > 2.55:1
Shift+F7    set video-scale-x 1.08; set video-scale-y 1.54  #menu: Aspect Ratio > 2.76:1
Shift+F8    set video-scale-x 1.15; set video-scale-y 1.68  #menu: Aspect Ratio > 2.85:1

Please note that the correction for the 1.5x anamorphic lens is already factored into the scale ratios.

JRiver 31 is looking better and better.  ;D Time to upgrade (again)

Vern

murray

« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2023, 07:20:07 pm »

Oklahoma is an oddity, as it was originally shot at 30 FPS.  The BD is 59.94 FPS interlaced (or more properly PsF or progressive sequential frame).  There is NO telecine applied to this title, as each frame on the BD alternates fields to recreate the 29.97 FPS original frame. 

I have had no trouble playing this title on Zoom Player, I'll give it a run tonight on JRiver 31 beta (as soon as I download it).

I dont know why Oklahoma drops lots frames on JRVR??
Ive had the BD for many years and it never dropped frames and still doesnt when I play it on madvr, plus Im using the 3080 video card.

Nathan did fix the issue for me but we really shouldnt have to make these changes to a 59.97 fps interlaced film.

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2023, 09:47:02 pm »

I dont know why Oklahoma drops lots frames on JRVR??
Ive had the BD for many years and it never dropped frames and still doesnt when I play it on madvr, plus Im using the 3080 video card.

Nathan did fix the issue for me but we really shouldnt have to make these changes to a 59.97 fps interlaced film.

The issue is that Blu Ray doesn't include progressive 30FPS as a supported frame rate in their standards.

So the only way to encode it on blu ray is 60 fps frame packed as discussed above.  This looks the same as 30 fps interlaced to the authoring software.  Yes, it's a  kluge, but you can blame the people that originally created the blu ray standards.

And yes, it stutters on MC 30, but plays  fine on 31, Zoom Player and MPV.

murray

« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2023, 10:03:37 pm »

The issue is that Blu Ray doesn't include progressive 30FPS as a supported frame rate in their standards.

So the only way to encode it on blu ray is 60 fps frame packed as discussed above.  This looks the same as 30 fps interlaced to the authoring software.  Yes, it's a  kluge, but you can blame the people that originally created the blu ray standards.

And yes, it stutters on MC 30, but plays  fine on 31, Zoom Player and MPV.

My rip doesnt play fine on MC31, I dont know why yours would?
I also dont know why it plays fine on madvr ever since the print was released but not on my version of MC31 JRVR.
One of those oddities I suppose....

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2023, 10:10:43 pm »

Thank you, thank you thank you etc. etc. etc.

Please make sure that all A.R presets are customizable, both in size (vertical & horizontal) and in position.  Please provide at least 10 customizable presets. 
Please take into account that 1.77:, 1.85:1 and 2.40:1 are not the only offered ARs.

I personally have commercially released media in the following ARs: 

Just got done doing some preliminary testing on 31.  Fortunately, the MCC 28038 commands still work.  Thanks for including a custom field for the anamorphic lens expansion factor as I use a 1.5x HE lens with a 2.76:1 screen.

While the tone mapping looks OK, the test patterns I looked at don't look very favorable for libplacebo.

I have attached 3 patterns, one from JRVR31, one from the most recent MPV, and one from JRVR30 / MadVR beta 166.  All were run on the same system.

The MPV config is:

[bt.2100-pq]
profile-cond=get("video-params/primaries") == "bt.2020" and get("video-params/gamma") == "pq"
profile-restore=copy
target-trc=bt.1886
target-prim=bt.2020
target-trc=gamma2.2
tone-mapping-mode=auto
gamut-mapping-mode=auto
target-peak=100

Files attached were taken using Windows screen capture.  I hope it's all right to post these here. 

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2023, 10:17:49 pm »

My rip doesnt play fine on MC31, I dont know why yours would?
I also dont know why it plays fine on madvr ever since the print was released but not on my version of MC31 JRVR.
One of those oddities I suppose....

I'm playing mine off of a mounted ISO.  Same PC, it has both 30 & 31 on it. i just installed the latest release 310017 tonight, using JRVR on it.  played with no stuttering.

murray

« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2023, 10:20:32 pm »

I'm playing mine off of a mounted ISO.  Same PC, it has both 30 & 31 on it. i just installed the latest release 310017 tonight, using JRVR on it.  played with no stuttering.
Mine is an mkv from the BD. Maybe JRVR has trouble with the interlacing.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2023, 10:25:41 pm »

Lets not go too far down the rabbit hole that is Oklahoma, but FWIW it's the "deinterlacing" overhead that is pushing Murray's 3080 to0 hard on this title with the "max" settings he has.  The answer would be to:
- lower settings
or
- turn off deinterlacing
or
- mux it back to 30p

The easiest (as this is a one off) was to just create a 30p version.  Plays perfectly without having to change settings to accommodate what is a very unique title.

FWIW - I could play the original on my 4090 without dropping frames.... but only just.
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2023, 02:14:30 am »

While the tone mapping looks OK, the test patterns I looked at don't look very favorable for libplacebo.
what's it meant to look like?

Movieman

• World Citizen
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2023, 08:05:02 am »

what's it meant to look like?
The  MadVR JRiver output.  These are frame captures, in motion the darker patches are blinking on and off. 

You can find a complete set of patterns on the Spears and Muncil V3 calibration set, or a somewhat easier to navigate set referenced here:  https://www.avsforum.com/threads/hdr10-test-patterns-set.2943380/

Working with tone mapping can be very subjective, but these patterns and images help us to actually quantify what we believe our eyes are seeing. 

Watching real world  program material, the JRVR31 and the MPV tone mapping algorithms have visibly higher (excessive?) saturation in the reds than MadVR does.

This shows clearly in the test pattern I posted, as MadVR with the proper settings is really the only  option that seems to process all colors equally.
If you desire, I can post my MadVR calibration settings for you. I am using a JVC RS3100 running medium laser.

On second thought, I have included it as an attachment.  (It's actually using max3 variant 2).

When you download these patterns, you will find in section 9, an HDR video that has 20 or so still images that show these differences. Put them up side by side on a display and observe the impact on the saturation in the reds in particular caused by variations in tone mapping algorithms.

Disclaimer: I am only speaking from my observations which are based on logic and my perceptions. These are based on prior experience as a projectionist for 30 years in commercial theatres and experience calibrating all manner of projectors in my HT for the past 15 years or so.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2023, 03:53:44 pm »

FWIW - Hendrik has already noted the following in a post I had about something up with tonemapping blues (but this test was with HDR Output - and then windows weird PrtScr but you get the idea):

The desaturation of strong blue tones is a known issue and should be improved when we next update libplacebo.

JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2023, 04:03:58 pm »

Watching real world  program material, the JRVR31 and the MPV tone mapping algorithms have visibly higher (excessive?) saturation in the reds than MadVR does.
yes I've reported this previously, there are certainly saturation issues with red that are quite apparent on skin tones.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2023, 04:41:29 pm »

Tonemapping is an ever ongoing process. Definitely tracking some saturation issues still.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2023, 01:30:44 pm »

Split madVR Settings

Please don't use this thread for madVR discussion.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2023, 06:21:06 pm »

OK - found a better way to do print screens when in Windows HDR Mode (Win + Alt + PrtScn and then look in your C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Videos\Captures for the "sdr" PNG version).  Still looks funky but it shows the results much less weirdly than a straight PrtScn and closer to what you really see.  In real life viewing the gradients are much smoother.

So this is a "2020 10,000nit HDR HSV Sweep Test pattern.  The top pics are with "enable HDR to HDR Tone Mapping" and "Reduce Gamut to DCI-P3-D65 (in BT.2020)" ON with a HDR to HDR Target Peak Nits set to 1000.  The bottom pics are with these off for comparison.

As Hendrik says, tone mapping is an ongoing journey and the changes from 31.0.23 to 31.0.24 is a big step up for the undersaturation of Purple, though it looks like there is still a bit to go to get in fully linear like the other primaries. 

JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2023, 06:25:35 pm »

Taking fully saturated high brightness color and trying to fit it into an image thats not only lower brightness, but also more limited gamut range, is always going to be a trade off. Its usually a combination of desaturation and losing some details. Or rather, minimizing both. If you want perfect saturation, you could clip the color space, but you lose detail then. Or if you want perfect detail, you can go full on desaturation. The mode we use is called "perceptual" which tries to balance these.

I could put the option back in to let you choose between these three modes, but I don't believe the other two (clip and desat) are really worth using outside of making pattern look good.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2023, 06:36:13 pm »

I could put the option back in to let you choose between these three modes, but I don't believe the other two (clip and desat) are really worth using outside of making pattern look good.
Dieselgate didn't turn out well for VW.

My money is on Hendrik and Niklas.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2023, 07:17:34 pm »

Nope - I'm happy to stick to the mainstream!  As you say, there HAS to be a trade off.  Well until we get better displays and tone mapping is no longer required! 

Test patterns are no match for just watching stuff in real life, but they are good at showing what is being done behind the scenes.  The real goal is to have Skin tones look right as we are all very sensitive to that.  I don't care if say a red or purple dress's hue is slightly different as I have no mental reference on what it should look like in real life anyway.  As long as it is not obviously over or under saturated then who cares? 

Plus (and as I said), these SDR screen shots of an HDR screen are at best wonky and you have to look at the test pattern in real time where you can see the impact of Tone and Gamut Mapping.  That HSV test pattern does show how well the changes have gone with the mapping of Red and Green both with the reduction of luminance and also gamut.  They look perfect in fact (at 1000nits and P3) on my monitor, with nice blending from one hue to another and nice blending from one luminance to another.  The only one that does not look perfect is the Blue which (on my screen) shows issues with the transitions on the red side all through the luminance range but it's mostly at the med to low nits. 

Also this is a big step up from the prior version, and is also much much better than what my display can do natively.  Notice how the bottom two shots in the image have no graduation at all? Really not good.  The JRVR version are nice and smooth (with the exception of the Blue / Red transition) the rest looks spot on (eg Red to Green and Green to Blue look great).  I'll see if I can film this.  Edit: Nope - poor idea.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2023, 04:45:08 am »

FWIW - I had a poke around a later madVR release with this test HSV Sweep.  Hard to compare exactly with JRVR as I don't think madVR can even do P3 in 2020 (win for JRVR).  So in just comparing tone mapping from 10,000 down to 1,000nits (without gamut mapping), JRVR looked better with the luminance graduations and between red to through yellow to green through cyan to blue.  madVR better on the blue though magenta to red.  The Blue to Red transition and Blue at higher nits must be harder for some reason as while the transitions looked smoother on madVR, it still was not that great. 
JRiver CEO Elect

raphaelv

« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2023, 04:53:22 am »

Hi,

I would like to thank you for the new HDR to HDR tone mapping feature, it's really great!
I did notice something strange having to do with Dolby Vision. When the video file has DV information (Profile 5,7 and 8 ), the black floor gets raised slightly. I think this might be correct behaviour, as DV never really has a 0 nit minimum luminance? This doesn't happen when the exact same file is stripped of the DV information, or with any regular HDR10 video.
I tried to produce some evidence, but as has been said above, making screenshots in HDR has proven to be a challenge, even with the windows+alt+screen trick. I did try several different videos, and even extracted the DV data for some to make sure it's the exact same HDR10 base layer.
I guess I wanted to confirm if this is intended behaviour, and if anyone else has noticed this or can reproduce my results?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2023, 04:53:39 am »

.  Hard to compare exactly with JRVR as I don't think madVR can even do P3 in 2020 (win for JRVR).
I think it's calibration > report bt.2020 to display (nvidia only)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2023, 04:55:13 am »

a few small quality of life improvements around the config would be nice

1) one click access to jrvr settings (currently have to go video settings then jrvr)
2) auto select the currently active jrvr profile when opening settings page
3) make video settings and jrvr settings pages remember their size (currently both open full screen every time and don't remember being resized)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2023, 05:00:54 am »

The settings dialog already remember their size, and do not open in fullscreen by default.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2023, 05:02:29 am »

The settings dialog already remember their size, and do not open in fullscreen by default.
Not for me they don't

Is it stored in registry or library? Perhaps I can surgically delete something to reset it

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2023, 05:10:38 am »

Should be in the registry under Properties, Window Placement - JRVR Options

But it should also save when you shrink it down again.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2023, 06:08:58 am »

1) one click access to jrvr settings (currently have to go video settings then jrvr)

+1 for this.  You could always do it with right click DirectShowFilters--> xyz when in custom or with madVR but JRVR is greyed out.
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2023, 07:19:17 am »

Should be in the registry under Properties, Window Placement - JRVR Options

But it should also save when you shrink it down again.
deleting the registry entries fixed it, fwiw it previously had

2C0000000001000001000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFB1000000D40200000707000 050080000

tixi

• Recent member
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2023, 08:58:27 am »

Hello JRiver team !

Just bought the update , 10 years without you .. and now I'm back ;-)
I'm back 'cause I want to test HDR to HDR Tonemap on my Sony XW5000 Laser projector.

So can you please confirm the settings for me ?

Red October JRVR
Quality preset
Enable black bar cropping
Use the display HDR capability for HDR video ON
Automatically switch to HDR ON
HDR to SDR conversion Target peak Nits : no idea ..
Enable HDR to HDR Tone mapping ON
Reduce Gamut to DCI-P3 ON but not sure ...
HDR to HDR Peak Nits : 80    I will measure the nits of my setup later and calibrate the projector. This setting is the max nits of my projector, isn't it ?
Tone Mapping Algo : Auto
Enable 10 bit output for SDR ON

Upscaling Jinc
Chroma Upscaling Bilateral Chroma Scaling
Scale in Sigmoidal Light
SuperRes ON - FSRCNNX 16
Downscaling Lanczos 4taps

Debanding Low
Sharpening 50
Video Hardware D3D11

Advanced HDR Settings
Use HDR Dynamic Peak Detection ON
Convert HLG to HDR10 ON

A huge thanks to you !

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2023, 05:51:19 pm »

Hi tixi!  Welcome back :)

Looks like a good starting point.  Will really depend on your GPU with some of these settings (like FSRCNNX 16) to be fast enough to not drop frames, but you will notice this immediately.  If you are HDR to HDR tonemapping then setting the SDR Target Peak Nits is kind of irrelevant, but you might as well set it to somthing similar to start with incase you end up doing HDR to SDR tone mapping (as that seems to be what most PJ users do).  I do notice that your XW5000 is a pretty bright PJ so 80nits sounds low but it is easy enough to play with the max brightness settings to get something that you like the look of.  Scaling Gamut down to P3 in 2020 is probably a good move as your PJ has 95% P3 coverage and for those few HDR movies that have full 2020 it will mean your PC will be doing most of the gamut scaling rather than your PJ (which probably just clips). 

Have a play and let us know how you go.
JRiver CEO Elect

tixi

• Recent member
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2023, 01:02:12 am »

Hi tixi!  Welcome back :)

Looks like a good starting point.  Will really depend on your GPU with some of these settings (like FSRCNNX 16) to be fast enough to not drop frames, but you will notice this immediately.  If you are HDR to HDR tonemapping then setting the SDR Target Peak Nits is kind of irrelevant, but you might as well set it to somthing similar to start with incase you end up doing HDR to SDR tone mapping (as that seems to be what most PJ users do).  I do notice that your XW5000 is a pretty bright PJ so 80nits sounds low but it is easy enough to play with the max brightness settings to get something that you like the look of.  Scaling Gamut down to P3 in 2020 is probably a good move as your PJ has 95% P3 coverage and for those few HDR movies that have full 2020 it will mean your PC will be doing most of the gamut scaling rather than your PJ (which probably just clips). 

Have a play and let us know how you go.

Hi Jmone

Thanks for your answers ;-)

Yes my Sony is very bright, but I have negative 100'' 0.6 gain projector screen ( my setup is in a white living room so it helps a lot ! ) . I will compare HDR to HDR TM et HDR to SDR TM.
My PC specs is a Intel NUC with Core i7 with RTX2060 , no drop frame , just great !

I will let you know very soon ;-)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2023, 01:41:48 am »

One of the great things about JRVR is just how efficient it is.  You can really crank up the settings with modest GPUs.
JRiver CEO Elect

tixi

• Recent member
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2023, 02:01:12 am »

One of the great things about JRVR is just how efficient it is.  You can really crank up the settings with modest GPUs.

I totally agree with that !
I've test with Madvr with same settings :

JRiver : no fan noise on the NUC, really pleasant..
Madvr : fan at 80/90 % , for the same result...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2023, 02:15:40 am »

Nice!
JRiver CEO Elect

afss_br

• Recent member
« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2023, 06:52:03 am »

Which is the sharper Chroma Upscaling algorithm ? Bilateral Chroma Scaling or Lanczos (or other) ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up